Solved

A train that does not require seat reservation at all?

• 24 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi, im travelling from amsterdam to Decin Hlavni Nadrazi with multiple train changes. I already paid for reservation from Amsterdam to Hannover Hbf (since it’s recommended).

However, there is a 4 hours train after that (Hannover Hbf > Dresden Hbf) in the journey that the eurail planner does not show seat reservation recommended. Am i guaranteed a seat on this train? Since I don’t want to stand up throughout the 4h train journey. I attached the screenshot for reference. 

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 24 May 2023, 12:12

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Reservations are optional for the first two trains you mentioned. You can board and find an unreserved seat, or switch places when someone comes waving with a seat reservations.

On German trains, 15 minutes after departure any untaken reserved seats get released, so everyone that wants can sit there too.

Please do not make these optional reservations on interrail.eu/eurail.com, they're way more expensive than :

- 3€ per train on tickets.oebb.at

- 4.50€ per journey on bahn.com. You can check occupation there too.

No booking fee on either website.

If the train is full, then you'll have to stand but it's unlikely : low occupation expected and lots of available seats on bahn.com. I'd make one for peace of mind on mainlines like Hannover - Berlin.

Yup I did not make any reservation on eurail site. I am just wondering if some trains they did not put “seats reservation required” or “seats reservation recommended” , is it possible for me to just board the train and sit anywhere. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You are never guaranteed a seat on a train you don’t have a reservation for.

To check how busy German trains are use bahn.com it gives an indicator for each train based on bookings and historical data, you can also proceed with a seat booking and see a map of all free seats.

it is also a better place to book seats.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Please do not make these optional reservations on interrail.eu/eurail.com, they're way more expensive than :

- 3€ per train on tickets.oebb.at

- 4.50€ per journey on bahn.com. You can check occupation there too.

No booking fee on either website.

If the train is full, then you'll have to stand but it's unlikely : low occupation expected and lots of available seats on bahn.com. I'd make one for peace of mind on mainlines like Hannover - Berlin.