Solved

Additional trips in country of residence - border crossing vs. first stop on the other side of the border

• 25 January 2023
  • 6 replies

I am traveling through my country of residence more often than once for inbound and once for outbound. Therefore, I need to buy additional ticket for the part of my travels within the country of residence. However, I do not know, what this exactly means.

Imagine I am traveling from Berlin to Prague and Czechia is the country of residence. The last stop of an EC I am taking on German side is Bad Schandau, the first stop on the Czech one is Děčín. Can I buy a ticket from Schoena (border) to Prague or do I have to buy one from Bad Schandau to Prague? Any advice (ideally with a reference where to find the info) welcome!

icon

Best answer by Hektor 25 January 2023, 08:15

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Can I buy a ticket from Schoena (border) to Prague or do I have to buy one from Bad Schandau to Prague? Any advice (ideally with a reference where to find the info) welcome!

Exactly! (Stichwort Grenztarifpunkt (no clue what the corresponding english term would be))

But pretty sure you cant buy this online, and also not sure if you can get it at all. if you know the date and the time, also check for saver fares, they might be cheaper even you have to book already from Bad Schandau.

So you think border crossing is sufficient? I can buy the ticket at a counter, it is impossible to buy them online. The saver fares are, however, almost never cheaper. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Dobry den. Lucky you live in a country where the railways still know very well how to do-CD! Just go to an office and tell what you want and they can issue it. Yes, from/to punkt Granica. This is always full fare (except the usual junior/senior discount you have in CZ). It is most often MUCH cheaper if bought from CD with koruny and not in foreign stations!

BUT-in some cases it may work out cheaper, esp if you can prebook long advance and are able to stick to that train/date, to buy such an advance ticket. This all depends on where you live and what route you want. I am aware  that not every CZ lives z Prahy,/PID area. Olomouc, Breclav, Ceske BUdejovice or Most is also quite possible. But it may in your ex well be that SparPreis via CD from DD or Bad Schandau (often for 9,90€=ca 250 CzK) do Prahy.

It may sometimes also work out cheaper to use another of the dozens of offers that CD has.

OR use a bus. Or RegioJet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In fact I think that in these cases it should still be possible to buy the CZ sector from the CZ conductor-but then there may be a 40CzK surcharge for on-board sale. Then it will also be from Punkt Granica. But I am not 100% sure anymore, as about every railway has done away with onboard sales due to too much fraud with that. At least you can talk it all in czech with her/him

I am traveling through my country of residence more often than once for inbound and once for outbound. Therefore, I need to buy additional ticket for the part of my travels within the country of residence. However, I do not know, what this exactly means.

Imagine I am traveling from Berlin to Prague and Czechia is the country of residence. The last stop of an EC I am taking on German side is Bad Schandau, the first stop on the Czech one is Děčín. Can I buy a ticket from Schoena (border) to Prague or do I have to buy one from Bad Schandau to Prague? Any advice (ideally with a reference where to find the info) welcome!

You'll need a ticket from the virtual border tariff point to your final destination. 

In your case this would mean "Dolní Žleb (Gr)" or "Schöna (Gr)" to "Praha hl.n.".

Thanks. It is still possible to buy tickets from the conductor with a surcharge.

Will try buying it the next from the border.