Solved

Bucharest/Brasov October 2023

• 16 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Greetings fellow adventurers. I recently joined this group in the hope of connecting with fellow enthusiasts and to ask/answer questions related to European travel.

I am looking for advice on the best way to get from Bucharest to Brasov.

I am looking to travel from Edinburgh to Bucharest in October 2023. Obviously, a trip to Romania in October would not be complete without a trip to Brasov to see Dracula’s Castle (Castelul Bran).

Would it be worth while purchasing an Interrail ticket to travel from Bucharest to Brasov and return on the same day or would it be cheaper for me to just purchase a train ticket on the day?

Also, how frequent are the trains from Bucharest to Brasov?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Liam

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 16 January 2023, 23:03

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It should be evident/obvious, just looking at prices and MIN 4 days, that an INterRail (yes, still also for Brits!) is way too much/.expensive for just a normal inland return somewhere.

Also note that on this line-and in general RO trenurilor tend to be slow, as they intermingle with much freight, there is the state-run CFR=accepts passes, and 2 or 3 other ´private´ competitors, which do not, but may offer lower end prices for your case. And numerous buses.

Having been-years ago-in both towns, and many others in RO, I would suggest: better to stay in Brasov as in Buc. If also wanting to get a glimpse of how brutal bad RO used to be, make a stop in Ploiesti on this line.

Thanks very much, @rvdborgt

I will check the train times closer to the date of travel. Alternatively, an electric car might be faster!

I am looking to connect with fellow adventurers like yourself. If you use Instagram or TikTok, add my username @liamobyrne91 if you would like to connect.

Thanks.

Liam

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If your only journey will be a day trip from Bucharest to Brasov, then Interrail is way too expensive. You can check fares here:

https://www.cfrcalatori.ro/en/