Solved

Cross another country using one country pass

• 7 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello travelers!
If I choose a one country pass (like Italy, for example) is it possible during one day of travel to only cross a country like Switzerland? Because I'm living in Dijon and to join Venice, I have to cross Switzerland.

Thank you in advance :)

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 7 February 2023, 12:18

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

You can of course simply buy-try to find lower fares, for a return Dijon-frontiere CH-IT, but this will not cost just a few €-CH cost even much more as your sate/strike run SNCF for normal tix.

Remarkable it is also again a Francais who asks about this-it seems some >95% of those asking this here are FR.

Now just think; you buy a very cheap pass for EE=Estonie-would you get a free return to there included?

Indeed, this question comes up quite a lot from French-speakers.

Some time ago I already flagged that the translation of the French pages is a bit shaky, using quite complex sentences.

@Mukhammad, repost of something I posted some time ago, then about the Austrian one country pass. It would be nice if the French translation will get revised on all the One Country Pages. Since it seems to be the same on every page, except the German One Country pass. It is still a bit confusingly worded, since we keep getting these questions here in the community.

Original post:

I checked the French translation of the [Austrian] One Country pass. It’s is a bit wobbly at best, even a non-native French speaker can spot it quite easily.

“Vous ne pouvez pas utiliser le Pass un Pays pour rejoindre ou quitter le pays indiqué sur le Pass”.

… Is a very general - automated?- translation and if you read quickly it’s easy to miss out the ne.. pas. Le Pass un pays” is also a bit… weirdly translated. Sounds bizarre in French. Better keep it “One Country”

Anyway. Much simpeler, clearer and better would be:

“Le Pass ferroviaire [autrichienne] “Pass Un Pays” peut être utilisé uniquement en [Autriche].”

Or if you want to stick more to the present - general- structure, I would highlight the negation and add uniquement. It will avoid a lot of accidental mistakes :)

“Vous ne pouvez pas utiliser le Pass “One Country” pour entrer ou sortir le pays. Le pass est uniquement valable pour des voyages dans le pays pour lequel vous avez acheté un pass.”

Perhaps it’s an idea to revise the French-website version with the next website-version (cfr. past user tests) :)

I would really replace the “Vous ne pouvez pas...” sentence with the following:

“Le Pass ferroviaire [country adjective] “Pass One Country” peut être utilisé uniquement en/à [Country]. Ensuite, le pass est seulement valable dans des sociétés de transport participantes en Interrail/Eurail, dans ce pays.”

Hi @BrendanDB 

Feedback forwarded to website department. 

Thanks a lot!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You can of course simply buy-try to find lower fares, for a return Dijon-frontiere CH-IT, but this will not cost just a few €-CH cost even much more as your sate/strike run SNCF for normal tix.

Remarkable it is also again a Francais who asks about this-it seems some >95% of those asking this here are FR.

Now just think; you buy a very cheap pass for EE=Estonie-would you get a free return to there included?

Indeed, this question comes up quite a lot from French-speakers.

Some time ago I already flagged that the translation of the French pages is a bit shaky, using quite complex sentences.

@Mukhammad, repost of something I posted some time ago, then about the Austrian one country pass. It would be nice if the French translation will get revised on all the One Country Pages. Since it seems to be the same on every page, except the German One Country pass. It is still a bit confusingly worded, since we keep getting these questions here in the community.

Original post:

I checked the French translation of the [Austrian] One Country pass. It’s is a bit wobbly at best, even a non-native French speaker can spot it quite easily.

“Vous ne pouvez pas utiliser le Pass un Pays pour rejoindre ou quitter le pays indiqué sur le Pass”.

… Is a very general - automated?- translation and if you read quickly it’s easy to miss out the ne.. pas. Le Pass un pays” is also a bit… weirdly translated. Sounds bizarre in French. Better keep it “One Country”

Anyway. Much simpeler, clearer and better would be:

“Le Pass ferroviaire [autrichienne] “Pass Un Pays” peut être utilisé uniquement en [Autriche].”

Or if you want to stick more to the present - general- structure, I would highlight the negation and add uniquement. It will avoid a lot of accidental mistakes :)

“Vous ne pouvez pas utiliser le Pass “One Country” pour entrer ou sortir le pays. Le pass est uniquement valable pour des voyages dans le pays pour lequel vous avez acheté un pass.”

Perhaps it’s an idea to revise the French-website version with the next website-version (cfr. past user tests) :)

I would really replace the “Vous ne pouvez pas...” sentence with the following:

“Le Pass ferroviaire [country adjective] “Pass One Country” peut être utilisé uniquement en/à [Country]. Ensuite, le pass est seulement valable dans des sociétés de transport participantes en Interrail/Eurail, dans ce pays.”

Alright, thank you very much for your answer!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Unfortunately a one country pass is exactly that (except the German pass which allows a few cross border trips to specific stations). 

You can only use the pass for journeys entirely in that country and any cross border journeys require a ticket for that sector.

With a Global pass you can of course use it in your Country of Residence for 2 days and in all other countries in the network, so the extra cost can be easily offset.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

A one country pass is neither valid in France nor in Switzerland, only in Italy.