Solved

Does the Winter Sale turn the standard pass into a promotional pass?

• 3 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi there,

I ask this question in regards to the cancellation and refund policy. I have read that refunds are different for eurail passes when they are promotional, however, I would like to know if a SALE (ie the winter sale) degrades the standard pass to a promotional pass, and then promotional pass refund rules would apply.

icon

Best answer by Schelte 3 January 2023, 20:26

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It MAY also depend on where you actually live/buy it- but these are exceptions.

IF refundable it may be that its less generous as for normal passes. Easy to see by simply clicking on the conditions.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

This winter sale passes are explicitly exchangable and refundable, under the normal conditions: 85% refundable, exchangable for a €15 fee. With Plus it's about 87%-97% refundable, depending on how much your pass cost, as the Plus fee is not refunded.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi there,

I ask this question in regards to the cancellation and refund policy. I have read that refunds are different for eurail passes when they are promotional, however, I would like to know if a SALE (ie the winter sale) degrades the standard pass to a promotional pass, and then promotional pass refund rules would apply.

The key is refunds and exchanges can be different for promotional passes (passes sold during sales), but it does not necessarily mean they are always different. It will be explicitly mentioned in the sale conditions whether there is a deviation from the general refund & exchange conditions.

In this specific sale there is no such deviation:

“Promotional Interrail Passes purchased between 22 December 2022 and 5 January 2023 (inclusive) are refundable and exchangeable.“

It was the case with the Black Friday sale and with the May 50 anniversary sale: there the additional terms of the sale mentioned these passes were non-refundable.

The additional conditions of the Black Friday sale (24-29 November 2022)

If you still have doubts regarding this sale: this is also confirmed as well in the checkout process, when you’re asked whether you want Plus.

Checkout process of passes sold with the Winter Sale (22/12/2022-05/01/2023)

It MAY also depend on where you actually live/buy it- but these are exceptions.

IF refundable it may be that its less generous as for normal passes. Easy to see by simply clicking on the conditions.

I have never seen different flexibility conditions for sales depending on the country of residence, and it seems unlikely: that would be pretty unpractical and unreasonable. Other retailers might offer different flexibility conditions, but I’ve also never seen that - and I don’t expect official retailers to do so. For this sale I have checked DB, BLS, SNCB and National Rail (UK) and they all offer the exact same conditions as Interrail/Eurail does on their site. Theoretically there could be less generous refund conditions for promotional passes, but I haven’t seen that either in recent years. It’s also not the case for the current sale, so I’m not sure where you get this from.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have never seen different flexibility conditions for sales depending on the country of residence, and it seems unlikely: that would be pretty unpractical and unreasonable. Other retailers might offer different flexibility conditions, but I’ve also never seen that - and I don’t expect official retailers to do so. For this sale I have checked DB, BLS, SNCB and National Rail (UK) and they all offer the exact same conditions as Interrail/Eurail does on their site. Theoretically there could be less generous refund conditions for promotional passes, but I haven’t seen that either in recent years. It’s also not the case for the current sale, so I’m not sure where you get this from.

Unfortunately, mcadv never looks up information before posting and only writes what he thinks he remembers. That may or may not be correct.

Thank you all so much. I understand now :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It is a promotional pass but the passes from this sale are still refundable and exchangeable.