Solved

First-time interrailer

• 29 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi we’re first time interailers looking for some advise and help! Me and my friend plan on travelling from March-May visiting Sorrento-Rome-Florence-Venice-Vienna-Budapest- 

Ljubljana-Zagreb- split. If anyone can help answer the questions below it would be super helpful. 

• When travelling from Slovenia to Zagreb(Croatia) as it’s not in the Schengen area will we experience any issues? 

• Is it best to book reservations on the actual train website rather than the interail website?

• We plan on travelling on an overnight train from Venice to Vienna does that class as two seperate travel days?

• When is best to active our pass and add our travel days

icon

Best answer by Hektor 29 December 2022, 18:06

View original

3 replies

Hi we’re first time interailers looking for some advise and help! Me and my friend plan on travelling from March-May visiting Sorrento-Rome-Florence-Venice-Vienna-Budapest- 

Ljubljana-Zagreb- split. If anyone can help answer the questions below it would be super helpful. 

• When travelling from Slovenia to Zagreb(Croatia) as it’s not in the Schengen area will we experience any issues? 

• Is it best to book reservations on the actual train website rather than the interail website?

• We plan on travelling on an overnight train from Venice to Vienna does that class as two seperate travel days?

• When is best to active our pass and add our travel days

[1] Croatia is in the Schengen area from january 1st.

[2] Yes, it is (for Italy use Tickets and Services (oebbtickets.at)).

[3] No, that’s just one travel day (day of departure). 

[4] A few minutes before you board the (first) train (for each travel day). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

OOI you could consider Salerno as an alternative place to start - It is only a short distance from Sorrento and ferries operate from Salerno along the Amalfi coast. The local train to Sorrento runs from Naples,and is outside the pass network. It is quite an experience on these old trains, which pass through Pompeii as well. (Circumvesuviana )

Salerno is the start point for the new high speed line all the way across Italy, via Rome, Florence, Bologna and Verona to Venice. It also serves Naples, but many long distance Freccia actually stop outside Naples at a new station (Napoli Afragola) and then a shuttle train takes you into the centre. Obviously the regional trains from Sorrento go into Naples Central.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

As Hector said.

Regarding reservations you may have a look on our 

post. Here we have a manual how to reserve Italian Daytrains and how to reserve Nighttrains of the Nightjet network like your Venice - Vienna Sleeper via the website of Austrian rail.