Solved

Inbound and outbound counted as 1 or 2 travel day(s)

• 21 September 2022
  • 9 replies

Hello,

I have a global pass first class.

I plan to do a day trip to vienna from Budapest so will be going from Hungary to Austria and coming back same day before 12 mid night - will this count as 1 travel day or 2?

Similarly I am also planning a day trip from Brussels to Amsterdam so between Belgium and Netherlands - going in AM and coming back before mid night - will this count as 1 or 2 travel days?

Pls guide - Thanks so much for your help!!

Satbeer

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 21 September 2022, 23:21

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Canucky, if you have the stamina you could even do the triangle 3-country: Bud-Wien-Bratislava-Bud.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The pass does not count trains, it counts travel days. On a travel day, you can use as many trains as you like.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

A travel day is classed as 0000 to 2359 CET. Your pass covers you for all trains scheduled to start by 2359, even if they end their journey after midnight.

This includes sleepers and night trains that may not arrive until well into the next day.

Wonderful - many thanks rvdborgt and yorkie

Appreciate your help truly

Satbeer

Good idea, I was thinking about Bratislava but wasnt sure if its worth a day trip

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Good idea, I was thinking about Bratislava but wasnt sure if its worth a day trip

Bratislava is a good choice for a few hours.

Also well worth looking at in that part of Europe are various day trip triangles from Munich using a pass on both the ICE and regional trains e.g. Munich/Nuremberg/Regensburg

Those are real good ideas Yorkie!

If I may pls ask how to go about such day trips - So when I covering 3 cities in a day - Should I then just get down at the station, go to the centre of the city and spend some time there and move on to next? I really like the idea but not sure how should that be done

If you dont mind, can you pls give me an example of a day how this could be done? Done yourself or seen others do it?

That would really help.

Thanks so much!

Satbeer

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Those are real good ideas Yorkie!

If I may pls ask how to go about such day trips - So when I covering 3 cities in a day - Should I then just get down at the station, go to the centre of the city and spend some time there and move on to next? I really like the idea but not sure how should that be done

If you dont mind, can you pls give me an example of a day how this could be done? Done yourself or seen others do it?

That would really help.

Thanks so much!

Satbeer

No problem, I have just returned from a 3000 km jaunt from Sicily to UK, via Italy and Germany, one of the highlights being 3 nights in Nuremberg, where we did a couple of day trips to nearby towns.

Although not true triangles we chose nice sounding Bavarian towns with direct train connections, So after breakfast in our near-station hotel we took a local train to Amberg (about 1 hr) then a walk to the town centre (5 mins), take in the local history and culture and a refreshment break, then another local train to Regensburg (another hour) then a few hours enjoying Regensburg and a late afternoon train back to Nuremberg (back via Amberg) in time for an evening walk around the old town and a meal.

A couple of hours in small towns is plenty and 4 hours in cities give you a nice mini-adventure.

If you are in Germany as well as a great regional service they have an extensive network of ICE express trains between cities and large towns that will easily cover 70 - 100 km in an hour, all included in Global Pass travel days so you can even travel much further afield for day trips.

Munich to Nuremberg to Regensburg to Munich would be achievable, but equally just MU-Nur - Mun would be a good day to see all Nur has to offer.

Alternatively you could pop into Austria for a day trip (Salzburg or Linz).

Great, thank you again for sharing all the info

Satbeer