Planning multiple trips on one Pass

Hi everyone, I’ve searched through the interrail website and forums, but am a little confused about how to make this work.

It seems like when you activate a pass, you can only use it for a single trip? But you can make additions to that trip once it’s been activated??

Here is my situation - I have a 2 month/15day pass, that I haven’t activated yet. I’m planning to travel around for a week in April (Spain and France), return home to London for a month, and then head back out around Germany/Hungary etc. to complete the rest of my pass. For planning purposes, I’ve been considering these as two seperate trips. I’m nearly done planning my route for the Spain/France trip, but hadn’t started thinking about the later one just yet. I was expecting to plan that once I returned from the first ‘leg’.

Once I activate the pass for travelling in Spain, I’m concerned I won’t be able to then add the 2nd part of my trip later, even though the pass will still be valid and in-date. I don’t want to end up using my whole pass just for one short period and then lose the rest of it. I’m considering not using the Interrail pass for the first shorter trip (3 travel days) at all, and just booking trains myself, then only using the pass for the 2nd part.

Hopefully, I can enter in all the details for the first part and activate the pass, and then update it later with the details for the 2nd part (as long as I enter into the same ‘trip’ on the app, right?)

I know it’s probably not the most efficient use of a 2 month pass - I got it on discount in January, and was originally planning to do a further trip in between the two I have planned, but budget and other family things meant I had to revise my plans. Although I could refund the original pass and go for a shorter one just for the 2nd part of the trip, the prices have increased so much that I wouldn’t actually save any money!

12 replies

Once you've linked a trip to your pass, you can't change the trip. You can then weareworking.com only rename it.

Thank you for providing that information. It appears that once you've linked a trip to your Eurail pass using the app, you are restricted from making changes to the trip itself. Instead, you are only allowed to rename the trip. This limitation might affect your initial approach of creating separate trips for each country. Given this constraint, you might want to reconsider your trip organization strategy. In this scenario, you could consider either creating a single comprehensive trip that includes all the countries you plan to visit or adopting an alternative structure that aligns with the app's limitations. While the inability to modify trips can be restrictive, organizing your journeys in a way that best accommodates the app's capabilities is essential for efficient planning and tracking. 

Interesting as I am planning for our summer trip. On the app, I created a trip for each country we will be travelling in, as that seemed like a reasonable way to organise things. But it doesn’t seem to be the Eurail way, and I can see no way of unlinking a trip and joining another virtual assistant one to the same pass. Is this possible, or am I better off redoing all the journeys in one trip folder? There doesn’t seem to be an easy way to copy/move a journey to another trip folder. I’m slowly getting my brain around the Eurail terminology. I’ve actually bought the passes, but not yet loaded them.

As you're preparing for your upcoming summer trip using Eurail passes and an organizing app, you're encountering a question about structuring your journeys effectively. It seems you've created separate trips for each country you'll be traveling in, but you're unsure if this aligns with the Eurail approach. While I don't have real-time information on the specific app you're using, I can offer some general advice. To decide the best approach, consider understanding the rules of your Eurail pass, which may dictate consecutive travel days and usage limits. If your app doesn't allow easy transfer of journeys between trip folders, you might choose to either stick with the app's organization if it complies with Eurail rules, or opt for a single folder for all journeys to facilitate changes. Keep in mind that once you activate the pass, conductors often mark travel days directly on it, which could simplify tracking within the app. While organizing by country is logical, remember that Eurail passes often allow travel across multiple countries, so grouping by region might provide more flexibility. If you're uncertain, consulting the app's support or documentation should provide insights tailored to your specific case. 

Here are some precautions to consider before going on a trip:

1. Research your destination: Find out as much as you can about the place you will be visiting, including its climate, local customs, safety concerns, and any health risks.

2. Get vaccinated: If your destination requires any vaccinations or immunizations, make sure you get them well in advance of your trip.

3. Pack wisely: Make a list of everything you need to bring and pack accordingly. Don't forget important items such as medications, travel documents, and chargers.

4. Secure your home: Before leaving, make sure your home is secure. Lock all doors and windows, and consider installing a security system at Tower of London Tour.

5. Check your finances: Make sure you have enough money for your trip and consider carrying multiple forms of payment, such as cash, credit cards, and traveler's checks.

6. Purchase travel insurance: Consider purchasing travel insurance to protect yourself in case of unexpected events such as illness, injury, or trip cancellation.

It will be great steps for precaustions.

Yes it is a terminology problem.

It is a problem I have with a lot of software (40 years of using computers). Things may  be simple once you get into them and to the developers, but to those of use who are new to the software, it takes a bit of getting your head around. There are so many queries about using the Eurail app in forums like this, that it is quite obvious that things could be clearer. Part of the problem is, you can’t fully test and play with the app until you catch your first train. There is quite a bit of money involved which certainly makes me cautious about what I do inside the app, which is why I’m not loading the pass until much nearer the trip start. Now that I’m getting more familiar with things, as long as it works on the day, it seems a reasonable app.

It is the ideal app to have a trial set of data that could have a dummy pass, look up timetables and generate blank ticket QR codes etc. Of course that could generate another set of problems, but nothing that couldn’t be fixed.

A big thanks to the forum experts.

Martin

Here are some precautions to consider before going on a trip:

1. Research your destination: Find out as much as you can about the place you will be visiting, including its climate, local customs, safety concerns, and any health risks.

2. Get vaccinated: If your destination requires any vaccinations or immunizations, make sure you get them well in advance of your trip.

3. Pack wisely: Make a list of everything you need to bring and pack accordingly. Don't forget important items such as medications, travel documents, and chargers.

4. Secure your home: Before leaving, make sure your home is secure. Lock all doors and windows, and consider installing a security system.

5. Check your finances: Make sure you have enough money for your trip and consider carrying multiple forms of payment, such as cash, credit cards, and traveler's checks.

6. Purchase travel insurance: Consider purchasing travel insurance to protect yourself in case of unexpected events such as illness, injury, or trip cancellation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Interesting as I am planning for our summer trip. On the app, I created a trip for each country we will be travelling in, as that seemed like a reasonable way to organise things. But it doesn’t seem to be the Eurail way, and I can see no way of unlinking a trip and joining another one to the same pass. Is this possible, or am I better off redoing all the journeys in one trip folder? There doesn’t seem to be an easy way to copy/move a journey to another trip folder. I’m slowly getting my brain around the Eurail terminology. I’ve actually bought the passes, but not yet loaded them.

Yes it is a terminology problem. It helped me to mentally change the “Trip” to “my Pass Diary”. I then treat each individual train details as you would in a Birthday Diary - you can have any number of birthdays listed on a day, send a card (Send the details to your pass) if you still want to (i.e. plan to travel on that train, you can ignore or erase the details if you want to and you can even add the details right up to posting the card/transferring to your pass.

Until you actually transfer the train to your pass there is no commitment, and even then you can remove it from your pass as long as you haven’t travelled, even after the train has departed.

More info in this thread from the community.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Once you've linked a trip to your pass, you can't change the trip. You can then only rename it.

Interesting as I am planning for our summer trip. On the app, I created a trip for each country we will be travelling in, as that seemed like a reasonable way to organise things. But it doesn’t seem to be the Eurail way, and I can see no way of unlinking a trip and joining another one to the same pass. Is this possible, or am I better off redoing all the journeys in one trip folder? There doesn’t seem to be an easy way to copy/move a journey to another trip folder. I’m slowly getting my brain around the Eurail terminology. I’ve actually bought the passes, but not yet loaded them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I can confirm the previous posts - you can indeed split your pass in any way you wish and I did exactly the same thing last year with a 2 month pass, but I flew out and Eurostar/LNER home twice. Not green I know but there is no way I was paying for LNER/Eurostar plus reservations and pass travel days to Sicily and Nice.

I used all 10 travel days and the 2022 9 euro regional ticket for a few days in Germany. This year the German regional offer is 49 euro per month but some regions have cheaper local offers.

As mentioned the Trip in the App is simply a diary of trains you plan to travel on until you transfer it to your pass just before boarding, and like any diary you can add or remove your intended trains at any time before travelling.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Absolutely fine to do what you want to do.

You can add journeys, change your mind, plan as you go. It will all be in one ‘Trip’ as far as the app is concerned, but you can of course come home and resume your trip later.

As @AnnaB says, you can only have two travel days in the UK (including using Eurostar). So use these two days wisely, and pay cash (either on Eurostar, or by air/ ferry) for your other trips to/ from UK.

This is what I’ll be doing with my 3 month pass. I’m flying out to Sicily next week, and spend 3 or 4 weeks travelling. Then I’ll probably use my first UK travel day to travel Brussels - London - Newcastle. Then for my second trip later in the year, I can use my second travel day to get to Europe again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I guess that you know that you only can travel on a maximun of 2 travel days in your country of residence, so you need to pay for 2 of the trips in you own country if you plan to make 2 separate travels.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Your pass can be linked to only one trip, which will eventually contain all journeys you make with this pass. You can add new journeys at any time you want. You don't have to plan anything in advance if you don't want to.