Solved

Seat selection with Interrail Global Pass reservations

Badge
  • Full steam ahead
  • 13 replies

We’re travelling from the UK to Italy this year. We used to be able to select our seats with Senior Global Passes but have now discovered this has all changed. We can’t use SNCF or Trenitalia to do this anymore. Why is this? Does anyone have any suggestions how to get round this? Thanks

icon

Best answer by Kyle 8 January 2023, 01:00

View original

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Since they are only 3 euro each you could always check at the stations in Italy about a change and, if they can’t change them simply buy a couple more.

Also if you have the required reservation reference you could try this page:

https://www.trenitalia.com/en/purchase/manage_your_ticket.html

Badge

Thanks. Didn’t think of checking out Trenitalia. I guess there’s no way of changing seats through them? I reserved them through OEBB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Trenitalia site suggest seats C and D are a double together, but A and C are on opposite side of the Aisle. On the few times we have been on these trains there has been plenty of spare seats to move.

Badge

Thanks, but I’ve looked at seat 61 but the InterCity seat plan looks a bit old and doesn’t seem to cover what I’m looking for.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hopefully the man in seat 61 has the answer for you:

https://www.seat61.com/european-train-seating-plans.htm

Badge

We managed to reserve seats today for travelling by trains in Sicily but not sure if we’ll be sitting together. We have 1st Class Global passes. From Messina to Siracusa on 6 April at 16.05 we were given seats 13C and 12C in coach 1. On the 10.00 train from Palermo to Messina on 20 April we have 2A and 2C in coach 8, and on the 10.10 train on 21 April from Messina to Sapri we have 2A and 2C in coach 1. 

I suspect that we’ll be okay with the Messina to Siracusa seats but can anyone tell us if the other seats make any sense? We really don’t want to be sitting on the other side of the aisle from each other.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Started reserving seats with our Global Passes through Austrian Rail (OBB). Apart from annoying problems with logging in — they keep not recognising my email address (or password) even though they use it to send me tickets — it’s worked okay up until today when I tried to reserve seats from Salerno to Sicily for 5 April. Initially I tried Messina but that wouldn’t work so then tried Siracusa and Palermo, but no luck there either. Any suggestions please?

I assume you are looking at the day train, not the sleeper. Last year I did the reverse journey and it was indeed only a few weeks before departure they appeared on IR/OEBB for booking, so as above post, just keep checking - the direct train is an IC not a Freccia and crosses the Messina straits on the ferry.

Badge

Thanks. We didn’t have any trouble booking as far as Salerno but it must be the north/south divide that our Italian friends talk about. I was worried that maybe seats were sold out because of Easter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Probably a bit too early to book. Italy is a bit late in uploading and sharing its timetables with the rest of Europe.

On Italyrail and Trenitalia I find connections for that day. Precis are low, so I don't suspect trains to be fully booked. So no worries, best check a couple of days later if they show up then and reserve then. 

Badge

Started reserving seats with our Global Passes through Austrian Rail (OBB). Apart from annoying problems with logging in — they keep not recognising my email address (or password) even though they use it to send me tickets — it’s worked okay up until today when I tried to reserve seats from Salerno to Sicily for 5 April. Initially I tried Messina but that wouldn’t work so then tried Siracusa and Palermo, but no luck there either. Any suggestions please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Seewolf wrote:

In Case of Italy i recommend to reserve guranteed trains 🙂 Italy is famous for strikes 😕 But Trenitalia have a list of guranteed trains that even runs on strike days

Thanks. How do I find this list of guaranteed trains, it sounds really useful.

The link is posted above in my comment

Badge

Seewolf wrote:

In Case of Italy i recommend to reserve guranteed trains 🙂 Italy is famous for strikes 😕 But Trenitalia have a list of guranteed trains that even runs on strike days

Thanks. How do I find this list of guaranteed trains, it sounds really useful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I am curious about the seat plan. I like to look out of the window. Some seats are just between the windows, so you see nothing (yet they are called windowseats!). Can you see the windows on the seat plan? Is there a website with all the seatplans (with windows!) of European trains?

The dreaded "Wandfensterplätze". Brrrr. They should offer those seats with a discount, honestly.

Indeed. I call them "French windows”, similar to a "French balcony”, which isn't a real balcony...

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

LNER in UK allows you to change your seat online for no cost (Lon East Coast line Lon - York, Leeds, Darlington, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Aberdeen).

https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/make-a-reservation/

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

But for the rest of Europe, no idea. Curious if someone can enlighten us about this. 

In Sweden you can select your seat according to the direction of the train and the location of the windows.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Good point. The Paris to Milan seat plan doesn’t show the windows. I’d forgotten about that and, as you say, you can end up with just a bit of window. I should have asked about that. As for seat plans, the seat61.com website is really helpful — about lots of things. Go to the Train seat numbering plans page.

In Case of Italy i recommend to reserve guranteed trains :) Italy is famous for strikes :/ But Trenitalia have a list of guranteed trains that even runs on strike days https://www.trenitalia.com/it/informazioni/treni_garantiti_incasodisciopero.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I am curious about the seat plan. I like to look out of the window. Some seats are just between the windows, so you see nothing (yet they are called windowseats!). Can you see the windows on the seat plan? Is there a website with all the seatplans (with windows!) of European trains?

The dreaded "Wandfensterplätze". Brrrr. They should offer those seats with a discount, honestly. 

Deutsche bahn usually has a proper seating plan of their trains if you dig a bit deeper on the website. Or if you google something like "sitzplan ICE 3" or something. But then you already need to know which kind a train is running on your route.

For the UK this is usually found easily as well, often via the man in seat 61 though.

But for the rest of Europe, no idea. Curious if someone can enlighten us about this. 

I use the website of vagonweb.cz and use the pictures to identify my prefered seats :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Deutsche bahn usually has a proper seating plan of their trains if you dig a bit deeper on the website. Or if you google something like "sitzplan ICE 3" or something. But then you already need to know which kind a train is running on your route.

For the UK this is usually found easily as well, often via the man in seat 61 though.

Badge

Good point. The Paris to Milan seat plan doesn’t show the windows. I’d forgotten about that and, as you say, you can end up with just a bit of window. I should have asked about that. As for seat plans, the seat61.com website is really helpful — about lots of things. Go to the Train seat numbering plans page.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Badge

Thanks. I phoned SNCF this afternoon, pressed 85 (my iMac doesn’t have a “hash” key) and spoke to a helpful man who spoke excellent English. Managed to select our seats with the aid of the seat plan onscreen in front of me. Cost 90 euros. Having a lie down now before thinking about the rest of our trip.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Many thanks to you all. I’ll try phoning SNCF, but as it’s the weekend might have to wait until Monday.

SNCF can be reached every day:

https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/contact-us/telephone

It seems early afternoon is a good time to call. Don't forget to press #85 for English; you can do that immediately when they start telling the options in French.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Also: some railways simply do not allow ANY of their pax-not even the honored payalittleextra 1st cl- to choose seats other as window/aisle or yes/no compartmt. Just as some airls deny that.

There are also sometimes hidden motves that even seewulf will not disclose-mostly have to do with protecting staff claims.

Badge

Many thanks to you all. I’ll try phoning SNCF, but as it’s the weekend might have to wait until Monday. As for strikes, I’ll watch out for that. If it happens then we might have to go up the day before and find a cheap/ish hotel. Or pester some friends. 

Badge +5

I’d also have a contingency plan for travel to London if there are rail strikes. In the main Eurostar has operated to an amended timetable on strike days.