Solved

Train from Lamezia to Messina

• 12 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

We are flying into Lamezia (SUF) in September and are going on to Messina by train. We do have a Rail Pass.  I know we have to to take a bus from the airport to Lamezia Centrale and then board the train to Messina. I am confused about what happens when we get Villa San Giovanni. Does the train then go on the ferry and we end up in Messina Centrale or does the train journey end in Villa San Giovanni and we have to make our way to the ferry port and pay to board the ferry and get off in Messina Maritima? Can someone please clear up my confusion over this matter. 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 12 May 2023, 16:34

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If your train's destination is in Sicily then the train will be loaded onto the ferry and it's very straightforward

3€ seat reservation fee for IC trains : book on tickets.oebb.at (no fee). There usually is availability last-minute

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are also many connections with a regional train where you board a ferry yourself at Villa San Giovanni. You need an extra ticket for the ferry in that case but it's cheap, only a few euros.

So it depends on when you leave Lamezia Terme.

Badge

Thank you Railmaster  I believe we will wait til 1735 for the Frecciarossa. I do want to be on the train when it boards the ferry!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The 17:30 Frecciarossa goes to Reggio di Calabria and not Sicily. You'd have to take the IC to Siracusa at 16:59 for the train-ferry :)