Solved

Travel from London to Istanbul

• 29 November 2022
  • 46 replies

Badge
HiCan you still travel by interrail from London via Paris Zurich to Istanbul with a 15-day ticket? And how good is the Belgrade-Sofia connection? ..does this go directly? and in which trains do I have to make reservations? Does the train also stop in Ljubljana? and how about changing money does it all work locally in the respective countries?Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this.Maybe someone has already made this trip. I want to drive the red route. See picture

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 29 November 2022, 12:11

View original

46 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As you can read on Seat61.com: "The Zagreb-Belgrade & Belgrade-Sofia trains remain suspended, so you should travel via Bucharest until further notice.

For the route via Belgrade you would currently need to use buses so the only rail route is via Bucharest. I suggest you read the information on Seat61, make your own plan, check which reservations you need and if you then still have questions, then come back here with specific questions. For questions about reservations, always specify train route, date and departure time.

Badge
Thank you for your quick response. Does Belgrade-Bucharest go by train?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Thank you for your quick response. Does Belgrade-Bucharest go by train?

No, see this page on Seat61.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In fact as for now NO INternat trains at all to Bgrad-except for the in winter only overnite to Black mountains=Cerna Gora=Monte Negro. READ first that seat61 as it has all the info you ask for here

Badge +5

I did it this year. Budapest - Craiova - Sofia - Istanbul. The easier alternative is Budapest - Bucharest - Ruse - Sofia - Istanbul.

Badge
hello thanks for the info. how to drive the trains from zagrab to belgrade can't find anything about
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
how to drive the trains from zagrab to belgrade can't find anything about

There are currently no trains, as I already wrote above, citing seat61.com.

Badge
Hello, the page from sees 61 is really good and has helped me a lot, but now I'm still wondering whether I can travel from London to Istanbul with my passport or whether other documents are necessary and what about kobit and what conditions are there at the moment and I'm also wondering if I can use my SIM card to make calls from Germany on the London Istanbul route?has anyone recently driven the london istanul route with interail? and can give me some tips? greeting straigtM
Badge

Hello, I have another question, do trains run at all currently and over Christmas to New Year trains from Bucarest to Istanbul because the rail app doesn't show me anything

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Trains are running normally. Bulgarian railways are very late delivering data so please check the BDZ website:

https://www.bdz.bg/en/a/sofia-istanbul-sofia

(This includes the connection from Bucharest.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You need to check with your SIMcard provider to get information about the conditions when you travel outside the EU.

Within EU you probably have the same conditions as in your home country, but there might be some restrictions for the use of data. But you better check the exact conditions yourself as they may differ from company to company.  

Badge
the route from bucharest to istanbul where can you reserve a seat for the sleep scales? i think i read something but i can't find it anymore. can someone give me some advice?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Bucharest - Istanbul only has a direct couchette in summer. Outside the summer, you need to change a few times but travel time is the same. In Dimitrovgrad, you change to the night train from Sofia to Istanbul, with couchettes and sleepers. Please see the information on the BDZ website:

https://www.bdz.bg/en/a/sofia-istanbul-sofia

Badge
thanks for the answer great ... could you also stay there for a day from dimitrovgrad to sofia and then to istanbul ... i can't figure out the timetable ... would that work?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
thanks for the answer great ... could you also stay there for a day from dimitrovgrad to sofia and then to istanbul ... i can't figure out the timetable ... would that work?

If you mean you want to go via Sofia: yes, that's possible. From Bucharest, you can also get to Sofia quicker than via Dimitrovgrad, see this page:

https://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Bucharest.htm#Bucharest_to_Sofia

From Sofia, you can then take the direct night train to Istanbul.

Badge
hello ok great do you have to reserve seats from bucarest to sofi via ruse or is it just possible to take the interrail ticket and where do you buy the night train service from sofia to istanbul
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
hello ok great do you have to reserve seats from bucarest to sofi via ruse

As far as I know, that is not necessary.

where do you buy the night train service from sofia to istanbul

At an international ticket office in Bulgaria.

Badge

Hithanks again for the help with the travel planning my route is almost ready. just have to ask again from bucarest to sofia does the rail ticket work or do you have to reserve it and if so where in the app does he find the route not the one in bucarest bucarest 10.55 o'clock starts and 8.10 p.m. is in Sofia. Is there a solution or should I ask at the Bucharest train station?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You pass is valid in the train Bucharest 10:55 to Sofia 20:10. Full timetable in the PDF on this page:

https://www.bdz.bg/en/a/sofia-bucuresti-sofia

In the winter, you'll have to change in Ruse.

This train is not yet in the app because Bulgarian railways are very late sending their timetable data to the European Timetable Centre. If it is not in the app on the day of your journey, then just add it manually.

The above timetable does not mention any mandatory reservations. In Bulgaria, they are not necessary anyway. If you ask in Bucharest, they will very probably sell you one, whether it is mandatory or not.

Badge
can you also take the subway and trams with interail
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
can you also take the subway and trams with interail

No, you can't. These are not operated by the railways. In some cities, you can use suburban trains, e.g. in many German and Swiss cities.

Badge
hello do you need a sleeping bag for the sleep scales on the journey from london to istanbul or is it possible without
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
hello do you need a sleeping bag for the sleep scales on the journey from london to istanbul or is it possible without

Bedding is provided in couchettes and sleepers.

Badge
where can i reserve the eurostar seat ... that doesn't work somehow? can i also buy it at the train station?
Userlevel 7
Badge +14
where can i reserve the eurostar seat ... that doesn't work somehow? can i also buy it at the train station?

Risky as Eurostar reservations are usually sold out days (in high season weeks in advance) 

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish