Solved

What trains do I have to add a journey and create a travel day so I can take Bernina Express?

• 20 November 2022
  • 9 replies

What trains do I have to add a journey and create a travel day in a mobile pass, so I can take Bernina Express? How do I know which trains in eurail planner, are from Bernina Express?

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 20 November 2022, 21:06

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Did you follow the steps mentioned here?

https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/eurail-mobile-pass/getting-started

Yes, and I have searched for a journey from Chur to Tirano, but the trains that show the app for that route, does not specify if they belong to Bernina Express.

Badge +5

The Eurail app is often not accurate. Look on the SBB app. It leaves from Chur at 08:32  This train requires compulsory reservation and you pay a supplement.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes, and I have searched for a journey from Chur to Tirano, but the trains that show the app for that route, does not specify if they belong to Bernina Express.

Your pass is valid on all trains there. If you want to know which trains run as Bernina Express, check here:

https://www.rhb.ch/en/panoramic-trains/bernina-express#info

Check "Timetable 2022” and "Timetable 2023”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The Eurail app is often not accurate. Look on the SBB app. It leaves from Chur at 08:32  This train requires compulsory reservation and you pay a supplement.

AFAIK, all Bernina Express trains have normal reservation-free seats in the front of the train, in the pulling train set/railcars.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

To answer your original question, you simply add the train you plan to travel on from your trip to your pass. It doesn’t matter whether it is a Bernina Express requiring reservation or a reservation free option. Resevations are always separate from your pass.

If you travel on any trains not included in the pass and Eurail offer a discount, and you do not travel on any trains using your pass that day, then you do not need to activate a travel day. You simply pay for your ticket and show your pass to claim the discount. There are several private railways in Switzerland doing this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You only need to pay a reservation fee if you travel in the coaches needing a reservation. There are always coaches on the BE where no reservation is needed. 

Badge +5

Apologies for my misleading reply. What I should have said is there is compulsory reservation and a supplement for travel in the panorama cars on this train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you want to take nice pictures it might be best to use the reservation free cars where you should be able to pull down the windows. To get nice pictures of the whole train it is best to sit either at the end or at the front of the train. The reservation free cars should be just behind the engine.