Solved

What pass would I need and is there anything to be aware of ?

• 4 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi,

A close relative passed away recently in Germany and I am planning to attend the funeral. I live in the South of England. Intending to leave on the England Thursday 23rd Feb, funeral 24th, and return to England Saturday 25th of Feb with the route High Wycombe => London ==> Brussels ==> Frankfurt ==> Fulde.

Its for the funeral only, so wouldn’t have chance to go anywhere else

1. I will need a Eurail pass (because I live in the UK) but can someone advise please, what Eurail pass would I need for the (hopefully 3 day round trip) ?
  1. I will need to reserve a seat on Eurostar (hopefully I still can) would it be sensible to get a reserve any other parts of the journey

Great to get you thoughts !

Thanks in advance 

icon

Best answer by Angelo 4 February 2023, 15:44

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There we go again : NO EUrail, that is for those who live far away over the oceans, EUrail has NOthing to do with EU or brexit. Which is all as could be expected clearly in the general info. InterRail for you-used to be a lot cheaper, but only allows 1 trip OUT and IN in home country. The MIN is for 4 days.

For just this Out+back return a pass is likely not the best choice-book advance tickets, fixed, the dates are fixed anyway, try first via bahn.com (german railways), they can do all from LON, from HW is not that far so you can easiy see yourself what is best. There may be a minor need to book in 2 steps-others will advice this.

FROM BRU onward the german ICE trains are only optional RES, this can be added easily via bahn.com for 4,50 (the whole way), I leave it to you how open you are to that.

DO be aware though that if all runs to promised timings the change over in BRU is rather tight (but all the borderchecks are done in LON, NOT in BRU going out) and that, alas, the ICE-trains from there to DE are fairly often broke/cancelled. I mention this as you are likely in stress WHat also fairly often happens is that they stop in Kóln and you have to take other german trains onward-your ticket covers all that. These run, like in GB, mostly ev hour or so.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

1. I will need a Eurail pass (because I live in the UK) but can someone advise please, what Eurail pass would I need for the (hopefully 3 day round trip) ?
  1. I will need to reserve a seat on Eurostar (hopefully I still can) would it be sensible to get a reserve any other parts of the journey

Hi, for only this 2 rides you can book via Deutsche Bahn bahn.com the tickets for all the route from London to Germany. For the train to London you can book a Ticket to London CIV to have full passengers rights if you miss the Eurostar.

The smallest Interrail Pass is 4 days in one month, so you pay for 4 days instead of 2. For the 23.02. there are now seats left for the train at 8, 9 and 19 to Brussel. And for the return there are seats left for almost all Eurostar trains.

P.S. Eurail is for non-Europeans (the continent). UK is still part of the continent Europe, so you need a Interrail Pass.

Thank you for your help, it’s much appreciated, and apologies for misunderstanding the distinction between Eurail and Interrail. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I am always learning with the community - this time a CIV ticket.

https://www.raileurope.com/en-gb/CIV-train-tickets

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

CIV tickets in UK are issued to London International, ticketing destination codes LNE or 5470 (these can be useful if a ticket clerk is unfamiliar with the ticket).

They can be useful, depending on where you are coming from but very expensive compared to Advance fares for longer distance journeys.

They can only be bought at ticket offices and are available without restriction but should only be sold to passengers holding a valid Eurostar ticket.

For High Wycombe they are reasonable at £16.20 single or £26.20 return.