Solved

Cancelling an inbound trip the same day because of train problems

• 3 April 2022
  • 9 replies

Hi community,

I am using my last inbound/outbound trip to go back to Germany from the Netherlands today but, unfortunately, a problem has stopped all train traffic in the Netherlands. I know I can't cancel that specific trip the same day but if I had no choice but to go tomorrow, how would it work ?

Thanks for your answers

icon

Best answer by seewulf 3 April 2022, 14:24

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Your option is to visit a Dutch ticket office and get a confirmation of the struggles today and they provide you a zero fare ticket for tomorrow to provide a onward journey :)

or you ask Customer service via Twitter/Facebook or this service form to delete your travelday :) https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

International trains to Belgium and all non-NS trains are running, so depending on where you are, you may be able to travel.

So far, the prediction is that there are no trains until 17:00. Depending on where you are and where you're going, you may be able to travel.

If you can't travel today, then NS is obliged to arrange accommodation, food and your journey tomorrow without any extra costs.

Your option is to visit a Dutch ticket office and get a confirmation of the struggles today and they provide you a zero fare ticket for tomorrow to provide a onward journey :)

or you ask Customer service via Twitter/Facebook or this service form to delete your travelday :) https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

I'll try that in a couple hours if the current plan of a next train to Frankfurt at 19.35 is not confirmed

International trains to Belgium and all non-NS trains are running, so depending on where you are, you may be able to travel.

So far, the prediction is that there are no trains until 17:00. Depending on where you are and where you're going, you may be able to travel.

Apparently I thought I could catch a train to Brussels from Amsterdam but not even international trains are moving here in Amsterdam. My ICE train to Frankfurt was supposed to be at 14.08 but it was nowhere to be seen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thalys and IC to Brussels have been running all day, although a few trains were cancelled.

ICE is currently cancelled between Amsterdam and Mönchengladbach.

IC Amsterdam - Berlin is supposed to run again, but expect delays.

Check bahn.de/aktuell and the NS app and DB Navigator app for realtime info.

Thalys and IC to Brussels have been running all day, although a few trains were cancelled.

ICE is currently cancelled between Amsterdam and Mönchengladbach.

IC Amsterdam - Berlin is supposed to run again, but expect delays.

Check bahn.de/aktuell and the NS app and DB Navigator app for realtime info.

The apps are wrong. The first train doing Amsterdam > Brussels ran around 16.28. I could only enter in the next one at 17.28 .

The next question will be if I can ride with the current ticket tomorrow because my last connection at Köln is at 23.55 so I'll obviously be controlled tomorrow ^^ I hope the controller will be understanding.

Thank you guys for answers, they were helpful !

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Under EU regulation 1371/2007, the local operator (where you are stranded) is responsible to organise assistance. This includes overnight accommodation, food and beverages, and the continuation of your journey without extra costs.

Amsterdam - Brussels ran until 11:28; 12:28 until 14:28 were cancelled, 15:28 left with +44, 16:28 was cancelled, 17:28 left on time.

Under EU regulation 1371/2007, the local operator (where you are stranded) is responsible to organise assistance. This includes overnight accommodation, food and beverages, and the continuation of your journey without extra costs.

Amsterdam - Brussels ran until 11:28; 12:28 until 14:28 were cancelled, 15:28 left with +44, 16:28 was cancelled, 17:28 left on time.

That explains my observations, I was at the station from 13.00. Thank you, you were very informative. 

Edit : about your first paragraph, the NS staff was not helpful at all and only told me "It's all over the news, the controllers in Belgium and Germany know about it" when I asked for a justification paper if I get in trouble with controllers. I hope they are right

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Edit : about your first paragraph, the NS staff was not helpful at all and only told me "It's all over the news, the controllers in Belgium and Germany know about it" when I asked for a justification paper if I get in trouble with controllers. I hope they are right

In Germany, it is also all over the news, it even made it into Der Spiegel.

In the end, I arrived at my destination 8 hours behind schedule but the controllers on all trains have been understanding. The Customer Service also gave me an extra inbound trip on time in case my ticket was not accepted i the following day.

Thanks for your fast and precise answers !