Solved

Do transits always count as travelling in home country?

• 23 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Dear community,

my partner and I would like to travel with Interrail, but we have different nationalities (French and German, respectively). For this reason, I would like to understand better what 'travelling in your home country' means so we can plan our route.

Suppose we take a train from, say, Gèneve (Switzerland) to Barcelona (Spain). This is doable in a single day, with at least one change of trains in e.g. Lyon (France).

1) Does this count as 'travelling in my home country', or is transit permissible?

2) If it does, does it count as an inbound AND an outbound journey?

3) (Assuming it does count) If there was a direct train instead, would this count, too?

It would be great if someone could help clarify this.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 23 March 2022, 20:24

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Your nationality is not important. Where you live (country of residence) is important.

If you do transit through your country of residence within 1 day, then you only need 1 inbound/outbound journey. In any case, the mobile pass does it that way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

After all it seems quite simple, as how the mobile pass is programmed: on a MAX of 2 days you can travel in home-country. On the oldstyle paper pass you have to fill out 2 separate boxes and write the total trip in.NOte that if you do not actually live in the country of your ID, then you must be able to show official proof of the other country that you are registered there. This excludes normal tourists-like Germans who set up in LUX to be able to pay much less for DB as a BahnCard 100. For people from the UK this is even much more attractive.