Solved

Everything is more expensive, except the global pass?

• 29 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Last year I bought a Global Pass 1st class (15 days in 2 months) and it costed 680 euros (just checked my bank account). Maybe I want to buy this pass again this year, so I checked and I noticed the price is 657 euros, 23 euros less. Of course cheaper is nice, but since everything has become more expensive, I wonder if this price is the correct one. Anyone who can tell me?

icon

Best answer by Schelte 29 January 2023, 15:10

View original

6 replies

From what I remember from some news-item, or maybe somewhere else is that 2nd cl was raised a few % (much less as inflation everywhere) and 1st in SOME steady and in some Other even lowered-to compensate that ever more trains do not offer 1st.

Your memory is wrong. None of the prices for 1st class passes have increased and I'd be surprised if there was any news item telling otherwise.

Even if it’s the most “special” one: At least the German Rail Pass did see a price increase in 1st compared to the previous year. 

And there’s now a 1st class Greek Island Pass which didn’t exist before (ok, that’s no price increase then 😏).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

From what I remember from some news-item, or maybe somewhere else is that 2nd cl was raised a few % (much less as inflation everywhere) and 1st in SOME steady and in some Other even lowered-to compensate that ever more trains do not offer 1st.

Your memory is wrong. None of the prices for 1st class passes have increased and I'd be surprised if there was any news item telling otherwise.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

From what I remember from some news-item, or maybe somewhere else is that 2nd cl was raised a few % (much less as inflation everywhere) and 1st in SOME steady and in some Other even lowered-to compensate that ever more trains do not offer 1st. Of course about any passuser who chooses 1st will mostly aim for those hi-speed trains that do offer opulent 1st with even some extra feebees and not sit too much in the suburban metro-style sets.

I had based my previous comment on my comparison of the prices of 2022 and 2023. For 1st class global passes, none of them (neither Youth, Adult or Senior passes, from 4 days to 3 months) has even changed by a cent.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

From what I remember from some news-item, or maybe somewhere else is that 2nd cl was raised a few % (much less as inflation everywhere) and 1st in SOME steady and in some Other even lowered-to compensate that ever more trains do not offer 1st. Of course about any passuser who chooses 1st will mostly aim for those hi-speed trains that do offer opulent 1st with even some extra feebees and not sit too much in the suburban metro-style sets.

Most railways set 1st at 50-60% above 2nd-in the normal full fare scales, but for passes it is only 25%-and now even a little lower for some.

Thanks! That's probably the reason..

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

You probably bought Plus back then? That would explain the added €23.

The price of the 1st class global passes has indeed not increased this January 1st, but it hasn’t dropped.