Solved

Global Pass - international travel

• 21 June 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone,

I’m thinking of buying a Global Interrail Pass and was wondering if it’s only valid when you travel WITHIN those 33 countries OR also when you travel internationally BETWEEN any two of the 33 countries.

I assumed it was valid on international trains but then I was looking at the Geneve - Lyon train connection and I selected I had an Interral Pass the price of the ticket remained the same. So I got confused and started wondering if I can travel internationally with the global pass.

I would like to go on a big EURO trip by train and I want to buy a pass so that I can cross borders with it.

My route: Bratislava - Vienna - Ljubljana - Trieste - Milan - Geneve - Lyon - Marseille - Barcelona - Madrid - Lisbon (via Vigo)

Would I be able to use the globall pass on international trains? Any problems on this route?

Please advise.

Thank you.
Ales

icon

Best answer by Mattheas 21 June 2021, 15:32

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can use the pass in any train of the companies it is valid for. Domestic or international doesn't make a difference.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

You don't need a reservation for most of these routes. If you use the Eurail Rail Planner app you can select “Avoid trains that require reservations" and see alternative routes. This also applies to Genève to Lyon, which is a regional train (and is just as fast as the TGV Lyria). You don't need to reserve, just write don't the connection on your Interrail Pass or put the connection in the Rail Planner app if you have a digital pass, and you're good to go.

You'll only need to reserve for Marseille - Barcelona - Madrid - Lisbon. Marseille - Barcelona can be done without reservations, but takes about 9 hours and goes via Portbou/Cerbère. Let me know if you want more information about these routes. Have a nice day!