Solved

Inbound/outbound to port without train station

• 18 March 2023
  • 7 replies

As I understand from numerous community posts, the inbound/outbound journeys can basically be any train journey in your home country while the pass is valid (only one inbound and one outbound though). Is that true or does the journey have to begin or end at the border or an airport/port?

The reason I’m asking is because the Conditions of Use for Eurail and Interrail Passes states that the journey “can be used” to/from the border or an airport or port. That could be understood either as that is one way to use them or as they “must” be used that way.

If I travel from abroad to and airport or port without train station, would it be OK to travel by train from the same city (travelling from the airport/port to the train station in some other way)?

icon

Best answer by Camilo. 27 March 2023, 20:58

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think this would be allowed. There’s a certain amount of latitude that allows you to take a reasonable route out of your COR, but you should be prepared to justify it if necessary.

The rules are there to prevent people using a pass for regular travel in their home country. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The outbound/inbound rule says that you can travel on a maximum of 2 travel days in your country of residence. You can use as many trains as you like and there are no restriction for the travel.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The outbound/inbound rule says that you can travel on a maximum of 2 travel days in your country of residence. You can use as many trains as you like and there are no restriction for the travel.

So if I needed to do long distance journeys on 2 different days in my own country of the UK, I could buy an international pass and just use the 2 inward/outward days without any intention to leave the UK?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So if I needed to do long distance journeys on 2 different days in my own country of the UK, I could buy an international pass and just use the 2 inward/outward days without any intention to leave the UK?

Yes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The travel days are 00.00 - 23.59 CET

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This is unethical but can be done. However the cost of a 4 day pass is disproportionately higher than a longer pass to discourage it when compared to a normal low cost advance ticket. £227 or 289 first class for your pass (£57/68 per travel day for a 4 day pass compared with £30/47 per travel day for a 10 day pass.) Obviously if you only use the 2 COR days then it is £114/136 per travel day.

Alternatively if you live in or near London you could actually do 2 long day trips on Eurostar since there is no limit to how many times you travel across your country border in a travel day. Out on first Eurostar and a full day in Paris/Lille or Brussels and back for 60 euro.

This could also goes for residents of any country wanting to use in their COR, but It is only the extortionate standard prices in the UK that makes this even close to viable e.g. for a trip from London to Aberdeen.

Note the app is how the In/Out days are managed and it will count any travel in your COR as one of your 2 days. It will not allow you to travel in your COR after the second use.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @OlaJ 

This is allowed, but the intention of the Pass is to explore other countries, therefore the inbound/outbound should be used for going and coming back from abroad. 

Have a nice evening!