Solved

Interrail Global Pass with BahnCard 100

• 11 April 2022
  • 9 replies

• Keeps calm and carries on
  • 11 replies

Hi everyone,

I have an Interrail Global Pass and a BahnCard 100 in Germany which allows me to use any (highspeed-)train in Germany.

As you all know, I have only 1 Outbound/Inbound journey. My understanding is that until any border, i.e. France, my BahnCard 100 covers the journey. From this border in the other country the Interrail Pass covers my journey.

Does anyone know if I’m correct? How can I manage this with my mobile pass to avoid having an inbound/outbound journey? As soon as I capture a German train station, 1 outbound journey is being used.

Looking forward to receive some support on that :)

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 11 April 2022, 17:12

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The BahnCard 100 is the perfect addition to Interrail if you live in Germany.

To avoid using inbound/outbound journeys in the mobile pass, start your journey on Interrail from the tariff border point. If that's a station (such as Basel Bad Bf or Salzburg Hbf) you that's easy; if it's a virtual point on the border (e.g. Emmerich(Gr) or Aachen Süd(Gr)), then you'll have to enter the trains crossing the border manually:

1. Search for a journey in the planner.
  2. Scroll down to the bottom of the results.
  3. Tap on "Add it manually”.

To avoid using inbound/outbound journeys in the mobile pass, start your journey on Interrail from the tariff border point. If that's a station (such as Basel Bad Bf or Salzburg Hbf) you that's easy; if it's a virtual point on the border (e.g. Emmerich(Gr) or Aachen Süd(Gr)), then you'll have to enter the trains crossing the border manually:

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

If I add a journey manually, it’s required to enter the departure time as well for a virtual point on the border. How do I know when the border will be passed? Which time do I have to add?

So that means that I never need any additional ticket for any journey to France for example? 

For example: If I take an ICE from Cologne to Bruxelles, I just found the pair of the border “Aachen Süd(Gr)=Welkenraedt(Gr)”.

Do I have to add manually “Aachen Süd(Gr) - Belgium” or “Welkenraedt(Gr) - Belgium”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If I add a journey manually, it’s required to enter the departure time as well for a virtual point on the border. How do I know when the border will be passed? Which time do I have to add?

Good point. But I noticed that the DB Reiseauskunft mentions the time at the border, so I'd use that.

So that means that I never need any additional ticket for any journey to France for example? 

Correct. You may need a reservation of course.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For example: If I take an ICE from Cologne to Bruxelles, I just found the pair of the border “Aachen Süd(Gr)=Welkenraedt(Gr)”.

Do I have to add manually “Aachen Süd(Gr) - Belgium” or “Welkenraedt(Gr) - Belgium”?

Where did you find "Welkenraedt(Gr) - Belgium”? The rail planner app mentions "Aachen Sued Grenze (Belgium)” e.g. if you open the train details. For each tariff border point, there is a single agreed name and in this case, it's Aachen Süd(Gr), as shown in the train details.

In any case, I'd use a non-German one and be sure not to set the country to Germany.

Good point. But I noticed that the DB Reiseauskunft mentions the time at the border, so I'd use that.

Correct. You may need a reservation of course.

That’s great news, thanks for that. Just spent 20€ for a return ticket from Karlsruhe to Strasbourg with my BahnCard 100 2 weeks ago. Great that this is not required.

Where did you see the time at the border? I can’t see that information. For example for ICE 18 from Cologne to Bruxelles. I only see the departure time at Aachen Hbf.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Where did you see the time at the border? I can’t see that information. For example for ICE 18 from Cologne to Bruxelles. I only see the departure time at Aachen Hbf.

In the rail planner app, tap on the train number. I see the DB Navigator app doesn't show the time at the border. The website does, but only in the text version (which I use for planning purposes, since it's fast and the output can be copied into a text file).

Where did you find "Welkenraedt(Gr) - Belgium”? The rail planner app mentions "Aachen Sued Grenze (Belgium)” e.g. if you open the train details. For each tariff border point, there is a single agreed name and in this case, it's Aachen Süd(Gr), as shown in the train details.

In any case, I'd use a non-German one and be sure not to set the country to Germany.

Just found this information re/ border stations in the internet. But anyway, I will ignore this information and use Aachen Süd. 

In the rail planner app, tap on the train number. I see the DB Navigator app doesn't show the time at the border. The website does, but only in the text version (which I use for planning purposes, since it's fast and the output can be copied into a text file).

Yes, you’re right - I see it now. Many thanks for your kind help. You really made my day :) have a good day and always safe trips!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This same principle is possible in many other countries too-if it offers a national network ticket. Like the new Klimaticket in AT=Austria or in NL DalVrij or even Weekendvrij (if you pan carefully).