Mobile pass not valid when scanned

My moblie pass is valid on the travel day (it is shown on my phone), but the barcode scanned by the ticket inspector says the pass only valid for the next day. Why is this?

This happens three times in Switzerland since yesterday. Before yesterday, the pass works fine.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi, can you please provide me with your order number via a private message? This way we can assist you further. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zhongx  the same problem had already @runner.on.rails  few weeks back i guess that there is a problem with the QR Codes :/

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

@zhongx  the same problem had already @runner.on.rails  few weeks back i guess that there is a problem with the QR Codes :/

The problem is not in the QR Code (which is not QR but Aztec Code) but, either in Eurails/Interrails Database or in the implementation of the SBB ticket check app. When I had the issue, I activated 14.02 and they said it would be 18.03 which would be out of validity of the whole pass! In a ticket counter they gave me a confirmation letter that my pass is valid, that I could show to the conductors.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@zhongx  the same problem had already @runner.on.rails  few weeks back i guess that there is a problem with the QR Codes :/

The problem is not in the QR Code (which is not QR but Aztec Code) but, either in Eurails/Interrails Database or in the implementation of the SBB ticket check app. When I had the issue, I activated 14.02 and they said it would be 18.03 which would be out of validity of the whole pass! In a ticket counter they gave me a confirmation letter that my pass is valid, that I could show to the conductors.

Did you only have this problem in Switzerland?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Did you only have this problem in Switzerland?

Yes, this was my only problem in Switzerland 😉

No I guess you wanted to ask if I had this problem only in switzerland:

Also in France they all got some problem when they scanned my pass. (They didnt tell me what was the issue, just, asked me to scroll down on my app to see the human readable ticket information, and then they were fine with that)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Also in France they all got some problem when they scanned my pass. (They didnt tell me what was the issue, just, asked me to scroll down on my app to see the human readable ticket information, and then they were fine with that)

There were more people who had a problem in France, some of whom even had to pay a fine.

@Nanja, this does sound like certain operators (SBB? SNCF?) may have a problem in their software. If that is the case, then I propose a "Known issues” page on the Interrail/Eurail websites to explain these problems and where workarounds (if any) and expected fix dates (if known) are mentioned. What do you think?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi rvdborgt, thanks for the suggestion. This is certainly something we are looking into. Will keep you posted on the topic. Cheers, 

There were more people who had a problem in France, some of whom even had to pay a fine.

@Nanja, this does sound like certain operators (SBB? SNCF?) may have a problem in their software. If that is the case, then I propose a "Known issues” page on the Interrail/Eurail websites to explain these problems and where workarounds (if any) and expected fix dates (if known) are mentioned. What do you think?

Today I've experienced the same problem and did have to pay a fine. Although the trip was correctly added to my pass, the scanning resulted in an error-message on the screen of the controller. The information on the bottom unfortunately was not enough for the validation.

Did someone manage to get back the money from the fine?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Today I've experienced the same problem and did have to pay a fine. Although the trip was correctly added to my pass, the scanning resulted in an error-message on the screen of the controller. The information on the bottom unfortunately was not enough for the validation.

Keep all tickets/paper evidence and claim back via customer support, as mentioned in the FAQ. Which country/which operator was this?

Keep all tickets/paper evidence and claim back via customer support, as mentioned in the FAQ. Which country/which operator was this?

Yes, will do! This was France, SNCF

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Jonasl, I'm sorry to hear you've received a fine, even though your Pass is valid. There is always a small possibility of receiving a fine despite having a valid mobile Pass. In the unfortunate case that this does occur, we ask you to note down all details from the specific journey and train, and to get in touch with our Customer Support team as soon as possible. As rvdborgt mentioned, make sure to keep all your tickets/paper evidence with you. Our Customer Support team will be able to assist you further.