Solved

Seriously only ONE inbound and outbound trip with interrail global pass?

• 10 May 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello! I have a question about outbound/inbound journeys.

Is it true, that when you purchase any interrail global continuous pass (It does not matter if 1 month or 3 months long), you have only ONE inbound and ONE outbound journey which you can use through the validity of the pass from your country of residence?

Why I am asking: We are thinking about buying a global pass, but this rule does not make sense to me. Why can you purchase a 3-month-long pass when you can't travel from your country of residence to more trips? For example to one week-long trip every month? If you need to step across the border at your own cost, Interrail is almost for nothing, since the costs for crossing the borders are the biggest...

One more: If the rule work like this, from where can you use interrail pass? From the last station of your country of the residence or from the first stop abroad?

Thanks for any help! :))

icon

Best answer by Angelo 10 May 2022, 09:33

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

OR-if you are korun-watching-you can also take a BUS (FLIX or whatever) to a convenient town or even take a flite to somewhere and come back on the vlak. OR use RegioJet, often cheaper as CD.

Depending on where you live in CZ (my bet is in PID-area in/near Prahy) you even have quite a few directions in to go foreign. OR become >65 and get the duchodce discount.

Thanks for your advices! :) It is really appreciated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello! I have a question about outbound/inbound journeys.

Is it true, that when you purchase any interrail global continuous pass (It does not matter if 1 month or 3 months long), you have only ONE inbound and ONE outbound journey which you can use through the validity of the pass from your country of residence?

Why I am asking: We are thinking about buying a global pass, but this rule does not make sense to me. Why can you purchase a 3-month-long pass when you can't travel from your country of residence to more trips? For example to one week-long trip every month? If you need to step across the border at your own cost, Interrail is almost for nothing, since the costs for crossing the borders are the biggest...

One more: If the rule work like this, from where can you use interrail pass? From the last station of your country of the residence or from the first stop abroad?

Thanks for any help! :))

Hey!

As written by Angelo this rule is only since some years. Before you could NOT travel at all inside your country… Now you have at least 1 out- and one inbound trip.

As you seem to live in Czech Republic, tickets to the borders are actually quite cheap… You can get for less than 10 euro one-way to the border towns, so I would not say it is expensive… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This rule is since some years, because originally you were not allowed to travel in your home country. 

You can Buy normal tickets to the border station (this is at every border other, one time the last station is in Chech Republic, and other is it in the other country

or you book to the border tariff station (where ČD changes with the other company, you can buy the tickets at České dráhy desk). 

List of Border Tariff “stations” on Wikipedia (only in german)