Solved

Travel day cannot mark because it was past

• 10 January 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge

Hi

I took the trains from Orbetello Italy on 9/1/2022 to Halle Saales Germany on 10/1/2022, in which:

- Orbetello to Roma Termini (local train): I marked travel day 9/1/2022 and got QR code ticket

-Roma Termini to Muenchen: night train, booked seat but forgot to mark in order to get QR code ticket

-Muenchen to Halle Saales: forgot to mark in order to get QR code ticket

This morning, 10/1, when i remember, i tried to mark but it says the travel day is the past as in screenshot below. When I chose today, it says I already use all (4) days of travel. 

I sent email to customer service Interrail but the reply informed that they will get back to me within 2 days. Im on the train and I cannot waiy that much time.

Is there any way to mark and get QR code ticket? Or can I use the QR code ticket for the trip from Orbetello to Roma termini as a proof of travel for remaining trains to Halle? 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Angelo 12 January 2022, 09:01

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In this topic, you posted you had used 27 December, 6 January and 8 January:

Now you post a screenshot that you have also used 9 January. That means you have used all travel days.

Badge

Hi, sorry for late reply. Now I’m back and have time to comprehend the information to make sure I’ll do it right next times I use Interrail service. Bear with me with long content as below because I really need you to understand my situation and help me point out which/where I understood it wrong.

I bought global pass ticket 4 times 1 month.

• 27/12/2021: i used 1 day travel. Journey: Halle Germany to Orbetello Italy. Because interrail system did not show Orbetello station, so i just divided the journey to 3 itineraries: Halle to Muenchen (marked as outbound) at 3.18PM + manually added Muenchen to Verona (night train) + Verona to Orbetello. Because I read somewhere that night train is counted as same day. So I understand this even I arrived to Italy on 28/12, it is marked as 1 day travel. → I have 3 more days
  • 6/1/2022: I used 1 day travel within Italy, 9.05 AM to around 5PM or so. →   I have 2 more days
  • 8/1/2022: I used 1 day travel within Italy, 8AM to around 4Pm or so. →  I have 1 more days
  • 9/1/2022: Because I read somewhere that night train is counted as same day. So my understanding is when Im back to Germany, if I take the train at 1PM, 9/1/2022, from Orbetello to Halle (divided by many itineraries - Orbetello to Roma Termini, Roma Termini to Muenchen (night train), Muenchen to Halle), this whole journey should be counted as 1 day travel (mark as inbound). →  I will u.se the last day (4th day). And this 4th day should include night train and next day inbound train (10/1).

If like Customer services rep explained: 

“You are correct that a night train only counts as a single travel day, in this case, that was yesterday 09/01/22. The issue with your current Pass is that all 4 of your travel days appear to have been used already, you can check this on your Pass information”

“A travel day begins at 00:00 and ends at 23:59 of the same day. The 24 hour period of a travel day covers all travel departing within the same day and not 24 hours after your first journey of the day is made. Therefore, your Muenchen-Halle and all other travel today is not covered by your Pass and need to be booked separately”.

Under this scheme, my journey on 27/12 should be counted as 2 days (not 1 day travel as the system marked). 

Please let me know where I misunderstood. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Yes the night train is counted from the day before, but you used from Verona the train to Orbetello. For this train you used a new travel day, because you entered the train after midnight.

Outbound and Inbound are not extra days. You have only 4 days to use the interrail pass (in this 4 days you can use 2 days to get to the border and get back home).

Same for the trip back home. You use one travelday from Orbetello via Rome to München. You chanced the train after midnight in München, you need a new travel day for the train to Halle. 

Badge

So, correct me if I’m wrong. If my plan is to use Interrail for inbound and outbound trains.

27/12/2021: night train + 28/12 from Verona to Orbetello → counted as 2 days?

9/1/2022: night train + 10/1/2022 from Muenchen to Halle → Counted as 2 days?

6/1 and 8/1: trains on these 2 days should be paid separately?

Thanks.

Truc

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

So, correct me if I’m wrong. If my plan is to use Interrail for inbound and outbound trains.

27/12/2021: night train + 28/12 from Verona to Orbetello → counted as 2 days?

9/1/2022: night train + 10/1/2022 from Muenchen to Halle → Counted as 2 days?

6/1 and 8/1: trains on these 2 days should be paid separately?

Thanks.

Truc

Yes, exactly! Only if you would end your day after the nighttrain it would be counted as one day. But as soon as you take another train on the following day (e.g. Verona-Orbetello), it would be a second day on your pass… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Also see:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/support/interested-in-interrailing/what-is-a-travel-day

Badge

Thanks. From customers/users point of views, I would propose: 

1. Interrail provide specific examples so that there is no confusing at all
  2. Interrail app currently cannot show train journeys in country (only main stations/trains) while DB app does well. If Interrail can do so, it would be very helpful for users to book seats reservation and dont have to add manually separate itineraries. 

Except for above, I’m happy with Interrail fee and customer service. :hugging:

Truc

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

From customers/users point of views, I would propose: 

1. Interrail provide specific examples so that there is no confusing at all

That's useful. Also it would be a good idea to mention explicitly that if you change after midnight, you need a new travel day.

1. Interrail app currently cannot show train journeys in country (only main stations/trains) while DB app does well. If Interrail can do so, it would be very helpful for users to book seats reservation and dont have to add manually separate itineraries. 

What do you mean here? Could you provide an example?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Truc, thanks for your feedback. We are happy to take it along. As rvdborgt mentioned, can you please provide an example and screenshot of how DB does it. That would be very helpful. Thanks and have a great weekend :)