Solved

Travel in the UK

• 11 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello! 👋🏼
Two of my friends and I have Interrail Global Passes and have already chosen the flex travel option. We had previously won the passes via the DiscoverEU contest before the pandemic and are now hoping to finally travel! 
I read on the website that travelling in the UK is possible despite the Brexit restrictions. However, can we only travel in England and Scotland without entering an EU country? Do our passes differ from the ones which can be bought through the Interrail website? I mean, is there any additional obligation from our part to travel in an EU country or do the same things apply for all Interrail Global Passes? Our home country is Greece by the way. 
Thanks in advance! 😊

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 11 January 2022, 22:04

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can travel quite easy within England,Scotland and Wales you may need a reservations (for example for the Nighttrains) but these can easy be done online for the UK.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

However, can we only travel in England and Scotland without entering an EU country? Do our passes differ from the ones which can be bought through the Interrail website? I mean, is there any additional obligation from our part to travel in an EU country or do the same things apply for all Interrail Global Passes? Our home country is Greece by the way.​​​​​

I have no idea what kind of pass you get via the DiscoverEU contest. I always assumed it would be a normal Interrail pass. It should however be delivered with a reference to the applicable terms and conditions, so you can find out what you can and can't do. So I suggest you look at the information delivered with the pass.

With a normal Interrail pass, there's no restriction whatsoever about how much travel in which country, except for your country of residence.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

READ simply first the info on country information-it looks like at the mo many more train comps in the UK want to have all its pax reservations and there is now also a minor low-cost train LON-Edinburgh (LuMo) that will not accept IR.

Yes -assuming you have a nationality non-UK, its possible to use the pass only inside UK-people I know have also done that for travel in Germany-where a normal bahncard100 allowing the same would cost much more for Germans themselves. And beside brexitUK there are still a few other countries OUT of EU that have accepted IR since the beginning, the scheme has as such no relation to ´only EU´

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

And beside brexitUK there are still a few other countries OUT of EU that have accepted IR since the beginning, the scheme has as such no relation to ´only EU´

Interrail was valid in the UK before (!) it entered the EU and has been valid there since. Interrail validity and EU membership are not related.