Solved

Trip from UK to Germany with kids. What pass to choose?

Hello,

I am looking to travel to Germany, from the UK with my two young children, aged 5 & 9, this August. We are planning to stay for about 2-3 weeks and were hoping to travel by train within Germany whilst we are there. 

I was wondering if you might be answering the below questions: 
- what ticket type would be best for our requirements? 
- would the ticket be valid from within the UK to London, or is it only valid for the Eurostar journey, and then SNCF & DB
- Can we use the ticket for any train, or only regional trains? 
- I am a German citizen with UK residence, my children have dual citizenship (UK & German), does this affect our eligibility for the pass? 
- How do I book? 

I basically don't know how Interrailing works, especially with young children and I feel fairly confused by the number of different websites out there. It would be great if you could  point me in the direction of an official site, with clear information how it works!

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

icon

Best answer by seewulf 22 May 2022, 12:50

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello,

I am looking to travel to Germany, from the UK with my two young children, aged 5 & 9, this August. We are planning to stay for about 2-3 weeks and were hoping to travel by train within Germany whilst we are there. 

I was wondering if you might be answering the below questions: 
- what ticket type would be best for our requirements? 
If you travel with Interrail you could buy a Globalpass (Travel from UK to London & Eurostar (Extra reservation needed)  included  or a GermanRailpass that covers from Brussels the ICE to Germany.
Just note that in Germany you could buy for 9€ a month ticket valid the entire August to explore Germany with regionaltrains (means no ICE,IC,EC,ECE)

- would the ticket be valid from within the UK to London, or is it only valid for the Eurostar journey, and then SNCF & DB
Depends which pass you buy. The Globalpass of Interrail would coverall but Eurostar would need a reservation and these are limited and quite expensive 30€ ontop of the pass per seat :/
- Can we use the ticket for any train, or only regional trains? 
In Germany 95% of the trains are covered :) Flixtrain is for example not covered or the narrow gauge system arround Wernigerode “Harzer Schmalspurbahnen”)
- I am a German citizen with UK residence, my children have dual citizenship (UK & German), does this affect our eligibility for the pass? 
As you live in the UK (proof of residence needed) and your kids have a UK Passport you can travel freely within Germany. and select during the booking process Great Britain as country of residence
- How do I book? 
online, at ticket office in a rail station (doesn´t work anymore in the UK), at a travelagency.

I basically don't know how Interrailing works, especially with young children and I feel fairly confused by the number of different websites out there. It would be great if you could  point me in the direction of an official site, with clear information how it works!
The offical website is Interrail.eu (it´s the website operated by Eurail B.V. the Company behind the Interrailpass)
For sales in the UK you may use the website
https://www.myinterrail.co.uk/

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

The decisions that have to be done.

Which Pass? Global or One Country
Which kind? Continous (valid for a specific period) or Flexipass (selected amount of traveldays within 1 or 2 months)
How you wanna get the pass ?
Digital (Mobile) together with the railplanner App (you can select later when the validity of the pass starts)
or
PaperPass you get a real ticket and have to fill the traveldiary on the PassCover or use then the Railplanner to log your Journey´s :)

Mit freundlichem Gruß
seewulf.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IF this very cheap 9€ ticket will cover your travels In DE, then just buy returns (or whatever you choose if not train both ways) till Aachen=first stop over border BE/DE. Probably easiest on bahn.de-seems that have again some form of cooperation, even though you get 2 separate tickets to/fro BRU. But it all depends on wher in DE you wish to go and if you are prepared to cope with what probably will mean much more crowds in Trains-and DE, as its DE, still has the duty to wear facemasks for at least ½ yr more