Solved

Which ticket to use for domestic transport; trams and buses?

• 22 January 2022
  • 4 replies

I have purchased the Global Pass. I believe some of the countries are covered for domestic transport, as stipulated accordingly. I wonder which ticket to use in case prompted to show a ticket in trams or buses?

icon

Best answer by EdM 22 January 2022, 19:33

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You CAN-with a lot of know-how-todo-use SOME RER sectors around Paris=the former lines that used to be state railway SNCF. This means part of the trip is allowed and part not. You need to get a free ticket to pass gates (no, it will not work at stations out of these lines) from sales windows-which are few and far between anyway. But as said-thats again mostly for very obscure routes wholly out of where tipical 1st time tourists tend to go.

Domestic simply means Inside the country. There are often misunderstandings from people who are not at all familair with how all these railways work and think only INTernational trips are allowed. Thats not the case. But very often for short domestic trips its not worthwhile at all to use passdays for-normal local tickets will be cheaper.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi Michelle,

I’m afraid I’m not sure this is absolutely correct. In terms of short range transport, a global pass will cover local trains everywhere and suburban trains in some-but-not-all places (you can’t travel on Paris’ RER, for instance), but it almost never covers metro trains and it only covers a handful of bus lines - usually ones which plug gaps in the rail network in rural areas. I’ve never heard of any trams being included in pass coverage, apart from a possibly a couple of obscure tram-train operations in certain German cities like Kassel, but even then I’m not sure how far off the railway tracks you’re allowed to venture.

For the most part it is rare for an Interrail traveller to end up using many of these extras - it’s nice that they’re there, but they aren’t anything like expansive enough to depend on, so you generally need to pay your own way for urban transport.

If you can let us know which particular transport in which place you have in mind, we can try to help you further.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Copy that. Appreciate your response, EdM!😃

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’ve never heard of any trams being included in pass coverage, apart from a possibly a couple of obscure tram-train operations in certain German cities like Kassel,

Similarly, SNCF operates a few tram lines, e.g. out of Lyon and between Nantes and Châteaubriant and maybe a few others. Eurail and Interrail are valid but the typical rail pass user won't go there.