Curious traveller

• 1 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi!

I from London, UK and am about to buy my interrailing ticket to travel around for 2/3 months around July/August time, before coming back to England and finishing my degree.

I am writing this, simply, to ask for recommendations around Europe! I know it seems quite odd that I don’t have a set idea in mind where I would like to travel, but I am keen to simply explore parts of my mind and the world that I haven’t seen before.

If anyone has any advice regarding sights to see, or things to do (preferably on the cheaper size), then that would be much appreciated!

I am living in the UK, so I would have to board to Eurostar to either Paris, Brussels or Amsterdam (I think Paris will be my first stop), and would preferably like to go in a circle around Europe prior to coming back home.

I have done research regarding train reservations and other, sort of, admin based things. I just would love to hear any recommendations from other travellers.

Also, if anyone has any useful apps or such things that may be useful for my travels, that would also be cherished!

Thank you :)

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

These very broad Qs tend to get very few answers-noone really wants to pen down a guidebook-enough have been printed and without a clue if your interests 99% will be just hot air.

There have been a very few same-same posts-look at those first. Go into a bookshop or library-there may still be theold-style printed book aimed at pass-users. OR this site: seat6.com-has all the basic info.

Perhaps, seeing your name: make a round trip/tour along all Indian restrts and check how much they differ in between countries? How many different versions of Tikka masala can be eaten?

These very broad Qs tend to get very few answers-noone really wants to pen down a guidebook-enough have been printed and without a clue if your interests 99% will be just hot air.

There have been a very few same-same posts-look at those first. Go into a bookshop or library-there may still be theold-style printed book aimed at pass-users. OR this site: seat6.com-has all the basic info.

Perhaps, seeing your name: make a round trip/tour along all Indian restrts and check how much they differ in between countries? How many different versions of Tikka masala can be eaten?

Haha, thank you for your advice.

I’m actually Turkish, not Indian, but much appreciated for the website link!

I tried looking around on here and, to my disappointment, I couldn’t find much. I’ll keep looking though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You need to give some hints of your interests and countries you like to visit to get some advice. Also it is good to know if you have a tight budget or not.

You need to give some hints of your interests and countries you like to visit to get some advice. Also it is good to know if you have a tight budget or not.

Ah yes! I can’t believe I forgot to include that from my original post!

I am really big on history and adore museums and anything to do with history (particularly ancient history). I am not that big of a foodie or alcohol drinker, so for me it really would be about architecture and history.

I would say my budget is quite limited, though not as limited as some videos I have seen of others’ interrailing experiences! I am a really good with moving my money about, and I am hoping to do/see things more for the experience, rather than clubbing or going out for dinners.

I hope this helps! Honestly, any recommendations would be wonderful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

My advice is consider the general circle you are going to shape your journey around - there are in fact very few main rail circles, but millions of inter-connecting lines.

As an example starting in London you could go this big circle,  Lon - Lille - Marseilles - Nice - Ventimiglia - Rome  - Florence - Venice - Vienna - then either extend to Prague - Berlin - Brussels, or Munich - Cologne - Brussels then London. 

You can then work your own list of side journeys or short cuts.

Alternatively you can do a northern circle of Germany/Poland/Czech/Austria/Bavaria/Home.

There is no point recommending specific towns because Europe is full of fascinating places and you can always find a museum or art gallery.
As for accommodation simply use your own skills and preferences to match your budget (or vice versa - let your budget guide you.) There is no simple one suit fits all.

My advice is consider the general circle you are going to shape your journey around - there are in fact very few main rail circles, but millions of inter-connecting lines.

As an example starting in London you could go this big circle,  Lon - Lille - Marseilles - Nice - Ventimiglia - Rome  - Florence - Venice - Vienna - then either extend to Prague - Berlin - Brussels, or Munich - Cologne - Brussels then London. 

You can then work your own list of side journeys or short cuts.

Alternatively you can do a northern circle of Germany/Poland/Czech/Austria/Bavaria/Home.

There is no point recommending specific towns because Europe is full of fascinating places and you can always find a museum or art gallery.
As for accommodation simply use your own skills and preferences to match your budget (or vice versa - let your budget guide you.) There is no simple one suit fits all.

Thank you! That route sounds heavenly! I have found the process of deducing down areas quite overwhelming, but seeing it actually written down like that does ease my mind quite a bit—which is seemingly very odd!

Much appreciated :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If you are staying away for the whole period with a continuous pass you could consider a few long stops in “Hub” cities and get a long term self catering accommodation deal. From there you can go on any number of day trips, both regional and even up to a couple of hours each way by high speed trains. Although far from the only possibility you could consider Vienna - easy reach to Austrian alps, Bratislava, Budapest, Salzburg and Linz. 

Bologna is suitable for most of Northern Italy and the Southern Alps, but this will cost in reservations for the high speed journeys.

We stayed in Nuremberg for a few nights exploring Bavaria on regional trains, but a continuous pass would open much of the ICE network reservation optional, so Strasbourg, Munich and even  Leipzig/Dresden become reachable. Cities like Nuremberg are ideal for me, plenty of eating options, history and centred on a fantastic area of interest. The station is right in the centre of things and is very busy with both regional and ICE trains to all parts.

If you are staying away for the whole period with a continuous pass you could consider a few long stops in “Hub” cities and get a long term self catering accommodation deal. From there you can go on any number of day trips, both regional and even up to a couple of hours each way by high speed trains. Although far from the only possibility you could consider Vienna - easy reach to Austrian alps, Bratislava, Budapest, Salzburg and Linz. 

Bologna is suitable for most of Northern Italy and the Southern Alps, but this will cost in reservations for the high speed journeys.

We stayed in Nuremberg for a few nights exploring Bavaria on regional trains, but a continuous pass would open much of the ICE network reservation optional, so Strasbourg, Munich and even  Leipzig/Dresden become reachable. Cities like Nuremberg are ideal for me, plenty of eating options, history and centred on a fantastic area of interest. The station is right in the centre of things and is very busy with both regional and ICE trains to all parts.

I had never even considered setting up little bases in different cities along my travels, thank you so much! That sounds idyllic for me, so this was much appreciated :)