Skip to main content

Hii

I will interrail in 2023 in UK and Ireland. I would have time for two months but I don’t know if it’s worth spending the whole two months there? I have no planned route and however I’d like to hike some days in the scottish highlands. Would you recommend buying the one or two months pass? Or have some must-sees in the region?

Thanks for the help!

Jene ´muss mann sehen´ stehen ja in jeder Guidebook/Reiseführer. Bestimmt hat deine Stadtbücherei noch solche-wenn auch nicht die ganz aktuelle (denn die gibt es überhaupt nicht mehr). Alte Schlösser usw ändern sich nicht jedes Jahr. Ebenso wie die gekannte Orte wie Shakespeare=Stratford/Avon oder rund Lake District (mit die 2 Frauen-Autore).

It is certainly possible to spend 2 monthes in GB (they also have Wales-also some mountains, but it all is a lot less as Swiss itself-though prejudice also has it that the Swiss still want to see mountains and the Germans want to go to beach+sea) without doubling up too much-but that of course also depends on your interests. it is NOT a very cheap country-but compared to Swiss its always cheaper. Very wide network of hoStels-YHA/SHA aimed at walkers and wanderers.

Rather as the full 2month I would first check if the X days in 2 MO is not a better plan-hiking high up will not involve much train riding. Ireland-that green republic, is certainly different from GB and in such a time you have perfectly possible to squeeze in for 1 week or so. Check very carefully about ferries-it MAY even be cheaper/better to book yourself on a coach (thats the word they use over there for long-dist. buses-other as in Swiss there is a full network competing with trains since 100 yrs) from a larger town in ENG till Dublin/town or so. The same may in fact apply for the Channel crossing-a coach fare may be less as the 30/33€ you have to pay on a pass to use the €*.

DO-DO be very much aware that a global pass is the better buy-includes also the trips to/from there and let you go elsewhere in case it really disappoints-plus that 1 country is really what it says; ONLY ONE!

You could easily spend one or two months in UK. Unlike France and Spain it is pass friendly. You’ll need to decide what interests you and do a lot more research to decide if UK is for you. If you want sun and sand Scotland is not for you!

You can definitely spend two months there but it is worth to check out if a 10 day flexi pass or 15 day flexi pass within 2 months is sufficient for you. For example in the Lake District they have really cheap bus ticket offers for a week (around 30 pound) and with hiking you can easily spend a week there. Also in Scotland they have some kind of explorer ticket for the buses… as well as in Cornwall (5 pound day ticket or I think 20 pounds for a week in that area)

To get to Ireland maybe a Sail&Rail ticket will be a good option.

Overall you can easily spend two months in this to countries… lots of things to see and do.