Solved

planning a trip

Badge +2
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 96 replies

Hi, we are a family of 4 adults and one child 6 years old. We just bought passes for 10 days within 2 months. I was trying to find some journeys using the planner, but unfortunately i wasn't very successful. So i have following questions

1. On the 5 July late on the day or on the 6 july very early i wanted to find a connection from Vejle/Kolding in dk to Munich in de with a night express and with sleeping department, so that we would be in munich in the morning on the 6 july. i couldn't find any.

2. Generally when traveling in July during a weekdays is it always worth to make reservations also for trains which don't require one?

3. Monday, the 10 July from Ljubljana in sv to Verona in it in the morning i could find any train connections, only with some flexbus. How to find one?

4. On the 12 July from Verona to Chur in ch in the morning i only found a connection through Zurych but we wanted to take to tirano to take Bernina express or regular train on the route from there to chur. How to do it?

5. On the 14 July we wanted to take the glacier express from Chur to Zermatt, but we only found a train going through Zurych. 

6. On both the glacier express and Bernina express can we take with our passes regular train instead of this with the special names, but traveling the same route? If yes, how to find them? And do we need reservations for the regular trains?

7. On the 18 July in the morning we wanted to take a train from Geneva to Zurych, then make a stopover in Zurych for few hours and then some night train back to dk. Any suggestions how to plan this part of our trip?

Kind regards viking

icon

Best answer by Hektor 14 March 2023, 18:19

View original

156 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

https://www.interrail.eu/content/dam/miscellaneous/Map%20of%20Switzerland_SBB.JPG

Here is the validity map. Trams and buses are not included, trains to Uetliberg and Sihlwald are not either.

No discount.

Badge +2

Does interrail pass cover public transport in Zurich or maybe some discount? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No seat reservations are not possible but they do not run very often.

A middle ground to save money : take the TGV within France so from Bellegarde, Mulhouse or Strasbourg -> limited 10€ fare, then 20€.

Badge +2

How about TER trains, do we have to have reservation? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

One more question. Is tgv like from Geneva to Paris included in the interrail pass? 

It is, but you need a reservation.

Can I buy it on sbb? How much is it? 

Check this post on where you can book:

Price is €29 in 2nd and €39 in 1st class. Also see that post for ways to make it cheaper.

Badge +2

One more question. Is tgv like from Geneva to Paris included in the interrail pass? 

Can I buy it on sbb? How much is it? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Badge +2

Hope the rest of the trip has been fine.

It has been very nice so far. And Switzerland and Liechtenstein are... Wow... Everything is Unbelievable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Depends when you would like to leave, and from where?

From Chur to Zermatt, leave at about 10am

Then from my route above :

You leave Chur at 09:55 and arrive in Zermatt at 16:14. You can of course stop along the way wherever you want and take the next train an hour later (hourly trains all the way).

Enjoy your trip !

Hope the rest of the trip has been fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Chur 9:55 - Zermatt 16:14.

Just use sbb.ch, add "Via Andermatt” to get the correct route.

Badge +2

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

To be sure, it's not like bernina with the extra reservation free wagon?

Which would be the best connection on Friday and not missing any part of glacier Express route 

No, all Glacier Express carriages need the 49 CHF seat reservation (not worth the price and certainly full anyway). Take the fully reservation-free regional trains with pull-down windows :

- Chur - Disentis/Mustér - Andermatt - Visp - Zermatt

This is entirely on the Glacier Express route.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Which would be the best connection on Friday and not missing any part of glacier Express route 

Badge +2

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No it doesn't. But there are the hourly regional trains with straight-forward connections :)

Badge +2

Hi, does the glaciers express have regular wagons for interrail passes, altao like without the extra payment for the reservation? Cheers 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There's no train to Ljubljana at 8:16 but I suppose it's this connection:

Train D211 is missing in the app. If it doesn't show up in the app on the day you travel, then add it manually.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This is the connection with a change in Villach, right ?

• RJ München Ost - Villach Hbf 08:26 - 12:43
  • D Villach Hbf - Ljubljana 12:53 - 14:31

Weird because OBB still shows it as leaving from Hauptbahnhof…

The second train does not appear on Rail Planner for whatever reason so add it manually.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Do you have a train number or screenshot of your reservation you made?

To add a train manually, do a search in the planner, scroll down and then tap on "Add it manually”. So just scroll a bit more down in your screen ;)

Badge +2

You can always add a journey manually but this one can be found on Rail Planner. The app is only very picky about which names it accepts… try Muenchen Ost

Hi, I tried with Muenchen Ost ( app recognised that station ) but still no connection, see screenshot

So how to add it manualy?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can always add a journey manually but this one can be found on Rail Planner. The app is only very picky about which names it accepts… try Muenchen Ost

Userlevel 2

Did you try to enter it as “Muenchen Ost”? Although I can not find a train leaving Munich at 8:16am to Ljubljana. Which train number it has?

Badge +2

Hi again,

we start our trip next week, so I am assuming all the summer timetable are finished.

I started to add trips to the app.

E.g. on the 8th of July we have booked seats on the 8.16 am train from Munchen to Ljubljana, but the app shows many connections on this day except the one we have booked. I got an email for oebb yesterday, that the train will start from Munchen Ost and not Haupbahnhof. Munchen ost exist not in the app.

How to add trip like this to the app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Day x - 3 trains, but the first train is delayed so instead of the second train at 2 pm I need to take the second train at 3 pm and the 3rd instead of 5 pm , I have to take the 3rd at 6 pm. I such a case do I have to change the trains in the day ticket for this day? and if yes how?

You deactivate the trains you won't take anymore and you add the new ones.

Badge +2

Thank you for your answer.

Let`s take another example.

Day x - 3 trains, but the first train is delayed so instead of the second train at 2 pm I need to take the second train at 3 pm and the 3rd instead of 5 pm , I have to take the 3rd at 6 pm. I such a case do I have to change the trains in the day ticket for this day? and if yes how?