Solved

Spain or Porugal

• 29 November 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi folks,

We've got 10 days to get from Barcelona to Paris with a global pass at end of April- beginning of May.

We’re thinking of one of these two routes:

1. Barcelona-Madrid-Lisbon-Porto-Vigo-Bilbao-Hendaye-Paris
  2. Barcelona-Valencia-Córdoba-Seville-Madrid-Bilbao-Hendaye-Paris

We’d really value your thoughts and options on choice of route, and any tips on what not to miss (or to skip)!

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by oncemorewithfeeling 30 November 2022, 18:24

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

HOla!

As has been told here sooooooooooo many times, ESpana is really the most UNfiriendly country for passes-both due to cumbersome way to get any RES-which you also need for about any train and the fact that-you aim for around Easter-this is over there one of the busiest time + much less chance on last min. openings.

I would strongly advise you to NOT use INterRail. Either book yourself-take a thorough course in how to do that- advance tickets on RENFE-or on some lines the now competing other cheaper low-cost, a bus- or maybe look for RENFE´s very own rides-pass (not as traveldays but as rides)-which includes direct online booking-if again so lucky to be able to do that and find the ways to do.

I guess this is not the answer you are looking for and probably you have had good experience in other parts of EUR with the pass-but this is what it is and also been told here dozens of times.

Also simply do a dummy try out for next week in how sparse or impossible the servcie in fact is on some sectors-and read seat61.com for more info on the utter cumbersome way to even cover the ride between 2 capitals Mad-Lis.

ESpana has also a pretty good long-distance bus network (coach for GB)-that will cover all relations without decent trains. Also holds for Bilbao-Hend-and there is also the much slower-and much cheaper EuskoTren (Basque country-out of any passes).

Portugal has its own railpasses-for whole country or for parts-but these may overdone for just the trips you mention.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

As the previous post, Spain and Portugal are somewhat challenging for all users. However as long as you study well and accept their relatively sparse number of trains, especially in Spain. you can have a great experience.

Journeys  between the 2 are difficult, and I believe there is still no rail link from Seville to Portugal.

Check out the Facebook interrail user  forums for many experiences.

I am sure you can work out the costs for yourself and Spanish high speed trains are easily booked in country at main stations.

Thanks for the replies! 

I should have said in my first post we have already bought the 1month global pass (during the 50th anniversary offer) and we’re aware of the complex route from Madrid-Lisbon (thanks to Seat61).

Badge +5

Easter is really busy in Spain! You could have terrible problems booking seats especially as you won’t have a lot of time to book in person and this is the only way you can book with a pass. If you want to use your interail for a holiday I’d rethink your plans if it includes Easter.

Easter is really busy in Spain! You could have terrible problems booking seats especially as you won’t have a lot of time to book in person and this is the only way you can book with a pass. If you want to use your interail for a holiday I’d rethink your plans if it includes Easter.

Hi @cdwatkins19 , Thanks for the tip. We’ll be there from 25 April, so that’s 2 weeks after Easter -- Would it be less busy then?

BTW, we were planning to book at least 10 days before, assuming we can do so from Germany (which I believe we can do, according to this post. Maybe we should phone to book further in advance? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you can plan in advance, then you can book domestic Spanish reservations in advance, e.g. by phone via DB or the travel agent recommended by Seat61.

Badge +5

Yes it will be easier two weeks after Easter.