Solved

Travel to Greece

• 8 September 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello everybody

A friend and I are leaving next week on our interrail trip in Europe. We would like to start with discovering the Greek islands, but when checking the timetables at the website of Interrail, there are no trains available to Athens. So we know the Hellas expres does not drive anymore so we are thinking to take a bus, but which bus connection do you recommend to get easy and on a budget to Athens? 

Thanksss

Kato

icon

Best answer by MartinM 8 September 2021, 19:50

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey Kato,

are you going to travel from Balkan? 
If yes, take a bus from Sofia to Thessaloniki (should be 20-25€?). From Saloniki you can Continue by train to Athens.

If you head over from Italy, take a ferry from Bari to Patras and from there you can continue by bus/train combination (should be included in Interrail) to Athens. If you use this variant, I would recommend you to make a stopover on Peloponnes to use the railway from Diakopto to Kalavrita and back - wonderful experience! 

Hello MartinM,

I made it from Amsterdam to Sofia by train but now am stuck in terms of train traffic.

Do you know where I can find/book busses to Thessaloniki, to whom you referring to if I understand correctly?

Thank you so much!

Kind regards, 

Arthur.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello MartinM,

I made it from Amsterdam to Sofia by train but now am stuck in terms of train traffic.

Do you know where I can find/book busses to Thessaloniki, to whom you referring to if I understand correctly?

Thank you so much!

Kind regards, 

Arthur.

Hi Arthur,

best to go direct to Sofia Central Bus Station (international terminal, right in front of the train station). There should be several ticket offices selling tickets for buses to Greece.