Solved

Amsterdam to Barcelona reservation

• Right on track
  • 3 replies

Dear community, 

I have a Global 4 day pass and will be travelling from Amsterdam to Barcelona on July 16th or 17th. I am trying to reserve seats, but there seem to be problems in doing so. The booking tool mentions that prices are unavailable; however, it says this same thing for months ahead, so that is why I wonder if there are no trains available, or whether there is something else preventing me from reserving seats. I want to book as soon as possible, to ensure I can still reserve the seat :) 

Any help is highly appreciated! 

Best regards, 

Kaya

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 19 May 2022, 01:09

View original

9 replies

Thank you so much! This has been incredibly helpful. I just called SNCF and have booked my ticket from Brussels to Paris and from Paris to Barcelona. Have a great day!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For Amsterdam to Barcelona, wherever which way you took, did you use only one travel day?

The above journeys were 1 travel day. You can use as many trains as you like on a travel day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Even if I, say, do Amsterdam to Brussels. Get off at Brussels, see a bit of the city and the continue to another country (say, Germany) at a later time, it will only use one travel day as long as I am onboard before 23:59 CET?

That is correct.

Hi Kaya,

For Amsterdam to Barcelona, wherever which way you took, did you use only one travel day?

Thanks, rvdborgt. Even if I, say, do Amsterdam to Brussels. Get off at Brussels, see a bit of the city and the continue to another country (say, Germany) at a later time, it will only use one travel day as long as I am onboard before 23:59 CET?

Even if I, say, do Amsterdam to Brussels. Get off at Brussels, see a bit of the city and the continue to another country (say, Germany) at a later time, it will only use one travel day as long as I am onboard before 23:59 CET?

That is correct.

Thanks so much for clarifying this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please post for each train you'd like to book: origin, destination, date, departure time.

Thanks for your reply! I am very open to any way to travel on 16th or 17th of July, so could be different routes or times. I for example saw some that have a transfer in Paris, and others in Valence TGV. So I am sort of flexible, the only thing that is 100% sure is that it should be from Amsterdam (train station does not matter) to Barcelona Sants on these dates.

An option would for example be: 

Schiphol Airport - Valence TGV: 16th of July, 7:34-13:01

Valence TGV - Barcelona Sants: 16th of July 15:11-19:32

I am not sure that is enough information? Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The direct Thalys Amsterdam - Valence (- Marseille) does not have passholder seats.

On 16 July, there are only 2 Thalys trains Amsterdam - Paris left with passholder seats:

Both are too late to reach Barcelona the same day. The 15:12 Paris - Barcelona (21:54) does have pass holder seats though (34€). No luck from Antwerp but there are seats on a number of trains from Brussels:

You could use the normal IC to Brussels (arrival 9:16 or 10:16) and then book one of these Thalys trains (25€).

You can book the Thalys online via Interrail (2€ booking fee), the TGV Paris-Barcelona also, but Interrail can issue it on paper only so that makes for an extra 9€ postage fee on top of the reservation and the 2€ booking fee. Alternatively, book both trains by phone via SNCF (press #85 for English): no booking fees or postage fees and reservations are sent via e-mail.

Another option is via Lille. TGVs Lille - Paris are still at 10€ but you need to change a few times, so it's best to leave early:

Lille - Paris 10€, Paris - Barcelona 34€. Booking options same as above.

If you want to book this TGV Paris - Barcelona, don't hesitate. It will sell out well in advance.

(On Sunday, you can get to Paris early enough but the TGV Paris (15:12) - Barcelona doesn't have passholder seats anymore. The useful TGV from Brussel-Zuid at 10:17 to Valence doesn't have any passholder seats left on either day.)