Solved

Amsterdam to London Jan 3 - any ideas?

• 28 December 2022
  • 10 replies

Hey there!

Like others here, have beens stuggling with seat reservations throughout my travels and ended up having to book flights. Also that we have ended up on separate trains hours apart despite many spare seats on trains.

Just reaching out to see if anyone can assist with any tips for getting from Amsterdam to London on Jan 3 for 2 people on class 2 global passes. Have been trying for months and looking like I might need to do a bus!

Have tried the b.europe website and going into ticket office at train station.

Many thanks for any tips or help

icon

Best answer by Camilo. 18 January 2023, 12:01

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Office in station wont be of any help for this.

B-rail-IF you used it the right way, shows pass-seats-as there are quota on all trains for that. This is a very popualir travelday and trains are full. You can check via that site what the 1st available train is with seats for passes.

use google-flites to check what it would cost-there are score of airlines and alos ALT airports-you have that pass anyway.

But for this €* I am afraid it wont be of any help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

First availability Amsterdam-London is on 9 January, or Brussels-London on 5 January.

You could look into the ferry Hoek van Holland - Harwich; it has 2 sailing per day and a pass discount:

https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/benefits/stena-line/

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Unfortunately it seems all alternatives are £200+ except Stena ferry from Hook of Holland. There are 2 sailings and prices start at about £100 in a basic cabin. I believe they offer a discount for pass holders.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you use the day sailing, then you can do without a cabin. The website doesn't seem to give a discount anymore, unfortunately, after entering the EURAIL code, although they still offer it, according to their website.

@Camilo., has the offer code for Stenaline changed maybe?

If you use the day sailing, then you can do without a cabin. The website doesn't seem to give a discount anymore, unfortunately, after entering the EURAIL code, although they still offer it, according to their website.

I got the information (much earlier this year, so you’ll never know if there are any negotiations in the meanwhile) that the pass discount will be withdrawn from january 1st (all routes) - but seems to be true as you’ll still get the discount for earlier departures until december 31st.

Greetings, Hektor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

For travel on Jan 3 there are rail strikes in UK so ferry to Harwich may not be the best idea for getting to London as onward travel may not be available.

Strikes are set for 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 Jan, this is not the week to be trying to travel by train in Britain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

There will be no trains from Harwich until 8 Jan.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Dear @Hektor 

AFAIK the code is still the same. I tried and indeed it does not give any discount. I will ask this internally and will let you guys know. 

I will be off for 2 weeks now, so happy new year everybody! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Camilo. Who will handle the Community when you are on holiday? Annie wrote to me that she will, or already has, leave her work at Eurail. And Nanja is also gone.

Happy New Year to you too!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Dear @Hektor 

AFAIK the code is still the same. I tried and indeed it does not give any discount. I will ask this internally and will let you guys know. 

Dear all @rvdborgt @mcadv @Hektor @AnnaB @Yorkie @Al_G , 

I have received an update regarding Stena Line. Please be advised that Stena Line partnership is temporarily on hold. We are currently in a process of renewal our contract with them. Until then the Pass holder's discount won't be available for 2023 bookings. 

@Camilo. Who will handle the Community when you are on holiday? Annie wrote to me that she will, or already has, leave her work at Eurail. And Nanja is also gone.

Happy New Year to you too!

Thanks dear @AnnaB. We are currently training a colleague. Since everything happened so quickly, we were unable to leave someone in charge of the community while I was away. I apologise and promise to read every post over the next few days. Please tag me if there is an urgent issue so that I can look into it right away.