Solved

Is there a train between Patras and Athens and where can I see the ferry timetable for Bari to Athens?

Hi,

I am planning a trip and wanted to end in Athens. I was thinking of going by ferry from Bari Italy to Patras then from Patras to Athens. I was wondering if there is a train from Patras to Athens, if not what would be the best option for someone with an interrail pass. 

And where can I see the timetable and reserver the ferry from Bari to Patras and do you know if it is included in the interrail pass. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Claudi. 6 August 2022, 08:27

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello, I appreciate that this information is likely too late to be useful, but just in case other travelers had the same question: 

Greece does not share their timetable data with us, so you'll need to check the information directly on Hellenic Train's website. There is a train from Patras to Athens via Kiato that takes about 3 hours. You can simply add this journey manually in the app and purchase seat reservations locally at the station if needed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Addition: this is a BUS and train combo-till Kiato its bus-they wanted to rebuild the old meter gauge to new normal gauge, but the money ran out-or corruption maybe used it up. Tickets/passes also valid on THIS bus (NOT the direct KTEL buses-faster and more often and for longer hours) and NO RES needed nor even possible.

There are scores of ferries from IT to GR-via various ports and these ships never appear in planner apps of railways. The best and most used jump off from IT is in fact Brindisi. Google will provide details in millisecs-as it mostly does-first will come paid combined ferrybookers-use these as comparison, then find the site of the comp. you choose. NO free trips-most give discounts.