Brussels to Marseille/Nice via Germany

• 7 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm curious if this would be possible with 1 day of travel time.

I'm just wondering if you can travel from the Brussels area to Marseille/Nice without the very expensive surcharge you have to pay when traveling with TGV Brussels-France?

I am thinking here of DB BAHN, because they have no mandatory reservation costs on many trains. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm curious if this would be possible with 1 day of travel time.

I'm just wondering if you can travel from the Brussels area to Marseille/Nice without the very expensive surcharge you have to pay when traveling with TGV Brussels-France?

I am thinking here of DB BAHN, because they have no mandatory reservation costs on many trains. 

The surcharge with the direct TGV from Brussels is 20 EUR, which you can only undercut if you use a direct TGV from Lille for 10 EUR (and use an IC to get to Lille). Since you're in Belgium, just buy the reservations from the NMBS international ticket office. They don't have an extra charge there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Sven 
I second the suggestions of Angelo to go via Lille :) or catch the direct TGV from Frankfurt to Marseille for 13€/17€ in 2nd class :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You could use IC trains to Lile and from there TGVs with the reservation fee on TGV in France of 10€ in advance or 20€ reservation.

DB trains in France are also with mandatory reservation because they are run in France by SNCF. 

A other possibiblity is to use ICE service from Brussel to Frankfurt and change there on the TGV to Marseilles (~ 15€ reservation??) or take a ICE/EC to Basel SBB and change there to an TER service to Mulhouse and go there on the same TGV to Marseille(10€ reservation).