Czech regional trains: Interrail ticket not valid bit train shows normally in the app (no warning)

• 2 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Hi, 3rd time Interrailer here, currently travelling Eastern Europe and quite happy with what Interrail/Eurail has to offer here.

However, today there was a minor inconvenience:

In the Interrail App, I added a trip from „Cesky Krumlov“ to „Ceske Budejovice“. The connection showed up normally, I was able to add it like any other valid connection and the app didn’t say anything like „Not in pass or network“ (see image below) as is usually the case when a train is not included in the pass.
However, after I boarded the train (on August 2, 2022) and showed my Interrail Ticket, I was told by the train ticket controller that Interrail was not valid here in trains of GW TrainRegio and that we all had to buy another ticket. 

Why does Interrail not display the usual warning in the app here? 

The train company‘s ticket controlling lady said that they wrote to Interrail asking them to do that, but that they still hadn‘t done so.

In my humble opinion, we should not have to research each train company’s detailed policies before boarding a train - if the pass is not valid on the train, then it should not show up in the app or at least be marked with a warning. 

If anyone has had the same problem on a Czech train, it would be great to know on which line. For reference, I am happy to share the train companies name where this happened to me: GW Train Regio (in case it might be helpful to anyone).

Camilo. 1 year ago

Hi everybody! 

I have forwarded this issue internally. I will update you when I get an answer. 

Have a nice day! 

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If you looked in the More>Rail Network Guides>Czech Republic section of your app you would see it lists which operators are and are not valid. GW Train Regio (as well as most other private operators) is listed as not valid.

This doesn’t excuse the bad listing in the planner but the information is there for those who look for it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

THey do not have their own planner-use the base from another which of course does not distinguish between pass takers and none. Esp. in the last years in PL=POland, ROmania and since last yr in CZ several lines have contracted out from the old state railway to others and these do NOT take passes. However-in CZ ju+senior get a generous 50% discount off already still quite low fares.

In other countries were they also did contract raillines they made it imperative they all take passes-like NL, GB, DE and recently NO.

It should need manual work to list all trips in planner in between where a pass would not be valid-and this has to be done by some knowledgeable one (I think I am myself, but I also make errors-it also changes so often and unannounced). Plus that this GW-trians has had 3 other names in the not too long past.

Plus that-for this trip a BUS-RegioJet or others-would have cost probably the same and do it in half the time-vlak=train is only for those who do now know any better.

I see youre Swiss: the real bahnli-loverli. THere it has gone the other eay: in the past many more of all those multitude of kantonale Ysebahnli were out of the scheme but sicne you got the GA and all that they are now in-only the real and very expensive Bergbahnli stay outside.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi everybody! 

I have forwarded this issue internally. I will update you when I get an answer. 

Have a nice day! 

Train FT 1069 is not valid for Interrail, it's operated by Arriva in Czech Republic so you need to buy a ticket.

Also I was informed that a reservation is mandatory on IC 517 - Praha hl N. - Bohumín. The app doesn't make this clear and the conductor said all SC and IC need a reservation. Please check with České Dráhy when the rule applies and to which trains, for IC the app says Optional/Mandatory so you have to check each time before boarding.

Luckily they take cards on the train, but still embarrassing to explain that the app didn't make it clear

Train FT 1076 is Arriva vlaky, interrail is not valid on this service. please update the app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Also I was informed that a reservation is mandatory on IC 517 - Praha hl N. - Bohumín. ​​​​​

That is correct. No idea why that doesn't show in the rail planner app, but as always: you should never rely on it for planning purposes, because it is unreliable.

I will cross check with the DB Navigator app now just.to be sure as it's more reliable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I will cross check with the DB Navigator app now just.to be sure as it's more reliable.

I already checked on the DB website and it shows mandatory reservations for IC 517. That very probably means the timetable data Czech railways send are correct.