Solved

Don't want to buy pass while I can't see reservations I need

• 18 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi all, 

Our family is going to be travelling on the eurostar and tgv on two separate trips in December and January. I love the idea of the eurail pass but I can't find reservations for the journeys I need through the site. When I go to make a reservation through eurostar it is obviously much more expensive. 

I would like to purchase a pass but only if I can see the reservation I require before I purchase. 

Any advice / further info? 

Thanks

Dan

icon

Best answer by Al_G 18 October 2022, 15:03

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Domestic TGV reservations https://travel.b-europe.com/eurail-ge/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish

Eurostar, Thalys reservations https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

pass cover number needed to book these

Reervations from sources other than interrail for many countries, please read this thread.

Thanks, 

I understand how to make reservations but there are no journeys appearing on the b-Europe site for my dates (29th December London to Geneva for example). When I check on trainline though there are plenty of journeys. 

Are there blackout periods when the pass can't be used? 

Many thanks 

Dan 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I understand how to make reservations but there are no journeys appearing on the b-Europe site for my dates (29th December London to Geneva for example). When I check on trainline though there are plenty of journeys. 

Are there blackout periods when the pass can't be used? 

There aren't any such “blackout periods". There are some trains with limited availability though but that's all year round.

London to Geneva is not direct, it's probably via Paris and then only the London - Paris part can be booked via the b-europe website. You can check availability of that leg yourself.

Paris - Geneva can be booked online but only via Eurail and Eurail does not yet show availability without buying a pass.

If you specify which trains exactly (route, date, departure time, number of persons and class), then people can check if there's availability.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If you had your passes today there are some early trains and late trains on E* Lon-Par on 29 Dec 2nd Class. There are a few mid afternoon first class as well. Lille or Brussels have more availability.

Lille offers direct trains to Lyon (avoiding Paris) and then connections to Geneva. Just about doable in a day with early start from London. (0855 to Lille 1402 to Lyon 1738 to Geneva arrive 1934.)

Reservations for TGV to Lyon are available now on b-europe link above.

The train from Lyon does not require reservations.