Solved

For which of these journeys should we book reservations? (Weimar, Wurzburg, Zurich, Strasbourg, St Moritz, Budapest)

• 4 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge
  • Keeps calm and carries on
  • 15 replies

Hello all, two of us have a two-month 1st class interrail pass. I have worked out our itinerary and booked reservations for things like sleepers, panoramic cars, TGV etc. These are trains for which I haven’t booked seat reservations. I have a condition which means I can’t stand for long periods of time. Equally, we don’t want to spend money on reservations unnecessarily. Could I please have some advice as to which of these trains we should make reservations for? 

Thank you so much!

Date Day of week Route Time
13/03/2023 Monday Weimar - Wurzburg 17:09
15/03/2023 Wednesday Wurzburg - Munich 08:04
18/03/2023 Saturday Zurich - Karlsruhe 09:59
29/04/2023 Saturday Strasbourg - Basel 16:51
01/05/2023 Monday St Moritz - Zurich 17:02
02/05/2023 Tuesday Budapest - Vienna 17:40
icon

Best answer by Camilo. 8 February 2023, 15:11

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Jac 

Did you try checking our timetable? https://www.interrail.eu/en/book-reservations#/ 

In most of the cases, it will indicate when a seat reservation is mandatory or not. 

Have a nice day!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

For trains in Germany, you can use the DB Navigator app or DB website to check demand. It always mentions which demand is expected a couple of days/weeks before departure on long distance services.

If it’s low or medium, don’t bother to make reservations. Plenty of seats will be available.

If high or exceptionally high demand is expected, you are best to reserve some seats. Check a couple of days before travelling to the expected demand on trains, and make reservations when demand is expected to be high or exceptionally high. For those dates I don’t really think you’ll need some, still out of high season.

Swiss railways offer a similar option, on the SBB website. Just make sure to click open the train details. But I wouldn’t worry of not finding a seat there.

(Screenshots are for trains on 9/02)

Part of your different trains, seem to be done regional trains (RB, RE, or TER) and these are not reservable what so ever. The front or back of these trains are usually calmer.

In the unlikely case you’ll find yourself standing upright, there were always people kind enough to stand up, if you explain that you have some issues to stand up for a long time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

ALL trains/wagons have seats special labelled for handicapped/pregnant ladies etc-though it varies a lot between countries how willing those sitting there will stand up.In some countries people even have special cards for that. But these immense fears in nearly ev 2nd post here about having to stand many hrs are really complete nonsense-and even more in these very weak travel periods now on. AND a tiny little bit of flexibilty might also help-on nearly all routes there is an hourly or even more frequent link.

All in all it is really not much different from how it goes in that island named GB.

Badge

Thank you both - really helpful