Solved

Fully booked seat reservation Norway - Sweden

Hi!

I’m travelling through the Nordic countries this summer and I have some issus with booking seat reservation for a leg of the trip.

I tried to book reservation  Narvik - Gallivare for the 15th of August (ideally the 3.10pm train) on interrail and vy but it seems that the trains are fully booked for a few days. I booked the Inlandsbanan from Gallivare on the 16th so I kind of really need to find a way to go there on the 15th…

On interrail, the reservation goes through until last minute (‘review your order” page) where it says “Please try to find an alternative connection. The unavailable leg will be removed from your cart.”
On vy the train show fully booked.

Do you know if there’s another way to get a reservation? Or an alternate route/way to get there? Or should I continue checking the page in hope of someone cancelling their booking?

Also, I saw that acprail still sells ticket at this time so I’m a bit confused (not only reservation through).

Thank you in advance for your help!

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 3 June 2022, 15:25

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I just checked the SJ.se website and both trains from Narvik to Gällivare are fully booked on the 15th and 14th of August. There are seats on the 13th of August. I have checked for busses from Narvik to Sweden, but as far as I can see there aren't any.

Ok. The train is the night train to Stockholm so there is a mandatory reservation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It seems strange to me that a train would be sold out so long in advance on a Monday.

Check with Vy (the operator) if there's anything going on. Maybe they haven't opened booking yet for some reason.

I just checked the SJ.se website and both trains from Narvik to Gällivare are fully booked on the 15th and 14th of August. There are seats on the 13th of August. I have checked for busses from Narvik to Sweden, but as far as I can see there aren't any.

Ok. The train is the night train to Stockholm so there is a mandatory reservation. 

Thanks AnnaB

Argh leaving on the 13th is not really a solution… Quite surprised that it is already completely booked.

Do you think ACPRail actually book a bunch of tickets before reselling them? I still don’t understand how they have tickets available.

Thanks again!

It seems strange to me that a train would be sold out so long in advance on a Monday.

Check with Vy (the operator) if there's anything going on. Maybe they haven't opened booking yet for some reason.

Thanks for your reply! I checked and they are fully booked. 
I also find it surprising that it’s already sold out!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Maili

I just got an answer from VY who run the train. There are construction works going on between Narvik and Gällivare and no decision has been made regarding that train. The train is not sold out, it is just not possible to make any reservations.

The train could run as planned, or with a different departure time, there could be a replacement bus or the train could be cancelled.

The recommendation from VY Customer Service is to keep an eye on the timetable and eventually there will be some information. 

@AnnaB Awesome that’s great news, thank you!

I had a chat with someone from VY’s customer service but looks like he didn’t know!

Thanks a lot!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Maili 

If you haven't already seen it, there is now a replacement bus scheduled from Narvik to Gällivare on the 15th of August.

@Maili

If you haven't already seen it, there is now a replacement bus scheduled from Narvik to Gällivare on the 15th of August.

Thank you! I just booked it :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Maili

Thank you! I just booked it :)

How far will you travel on Inlandsbanan?

Me and my family travelled the whole Inlandsbanan, from Kristinehamn to Gällivare some years ago. 

More recent. Narvik to Lulea. No ticket reservstions possible at Narvik ststion. Vy site and Apic dont allow for interrail card options. Vy phone line constantly busy. I went to Narvik ststion today. Starting off train was quarter full yet fully booked. Guard said later trqvllers are getting on. Probably true. I said it was hard reserving seats. He said it was my fault. I finally rrserved a seat as a frind in Finland rang Vy line. He started 195 in the queue. He wstched the World Athletics Chamionship final day. Did the washing and finally got through and I got my reservation. Nothing else worked.