Solved

How to use a pass on fully booked trains

Badge

hi! 

me and two frinds bought a 5 travels days pass. unfortunatly when we added the pass to the rail planner app, we aso activated it. we did not understand it would be so hard to seat reserve. we had alreade looked up a train that went from stockholm to copenhagen then hamburg en then munich. we saw that te stockholm-copenhagen trip had to be reserved but when we went to check out it sait it was full. now i cant find any trains that takes us out of sweden and our outbound day is set for today…

thankful for help/suggestions to what we sould do now

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 16 July 2022, 17:42

View original

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If trains are full, try via website of the train company SJ.se but also Snaltoget to reserve. Try to book a seat and but as discount Interrail. Cover . Both accept Interril. Also possible is to ride to Göteborg and from there with Öresundtog wich are reservation free to Copenhagen.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You have learnt lesson nr 1. Never activate your pass until just before boarding the first train of your travel. Don't do it in advance. 

Är du med i den här FB gruppen?

https://m.facebook.com/groups/tagsemester/

Här finns ett dokument hur man tar sig från Köpenhamn till Hamburg om man inte har bokade platser.

Det viktigaste idag är att ni tar er ut ur Sverige så att ni inte förlorar er utresedag i Sverige. Om ni tar er till Köpenhamn idag så kan ni där fundera på hur ni tar er vidare. Det kommer att ordna sig. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

To travel from Stockholm to Copenhagen you need to split the trip and travel with train companies that don't require reservations.

Use Mälartåg or SJ regional train to Linköping. From there you can go to Kalmar and then you should find a connection to Malmö I hope. From Malmö you take Öresundståg to Köpenhamn. 

My advice is that you ASAP get on the first train to Linköping that doesn't need a reservation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The first connection to Linköping that doesn't require a reservation leaves at 11.40. Mälartåg to Katrineholm and change there for a train to Linköping.

Badge

thank you soo much for the advise!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

From Linköping you can go to Kalmar with this train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

From Kalmar you then take this train to Köpenhamn. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Lycka till och gör ett nytt inlägg om ni behöver hjälp med någon mer del av resan senare.

Here is some useful information from the experienced travellers in the Community regarding both planning, reservations and activation of pass and travel days. 

Planning

The rail planner is normally not up to date, as it only is updated once a month, so to be sure of the time table you better check the timetable and availability on the websites of the national railways. The bigger national railways, like DB (Germany) SBB (Switzerland) and ÖBB (Austria) cover several countries. 

Reservations 

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is to use other ways to make reservations than the Interrail/Eurail website.  You can look at the guide in the link:

https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105

If you, after having looked at the guide, have questions about how to make specific reservation, please give your travel details (departure date, time and route) preferably in a new topic, and you will get advice.

Please note that Interrail/Eurail charges an extra fee of 2 EUR per person and ticket in addition to the fee for the seat reservation.

Activation of pass

During the activation process, when you choose the start day of the validity of the pass, the first day of the validity period is automatically made a travel day, even if you don't enter a journey, the advice is therefore not to activate the pass before the first travel day as you only can deactivate the pass before 00.00 on the day the validity starts. If your travel plans change in the last moment you will loose travel days if you have activated the pass in advance.

It can be wise to make a test and activate the pass with a start date well in the future and then deactivate the pass immediately, just to see that everything works.

Activation of travel day

The advice from the experienced travellers in the community is also never to activate a travel day, that is connect a journey to your pass, until just before boarding the train, otherwise you might loose a travel day if your travel plans change in a late stage  You can't delete a travel day in the past. A travel day can only be deleted until 23.59 CET the day before the travel day.

Badge

@AnnaB if we don’t manage to get out of sweden today(our outbound day) can we use another travel day  on our pass?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@AnnaB if we don’t manage to get out of sweden today(our outbound day) can we use another travel day  on our pass?

You can travel on 2 days in Sweden but if you use both of them now, then you will have to pay for your trip in Sweden on your way home.

As you only have 5 travel days in total you need to get as far as possible today.

What is the route you have planned for your Interrail trip?

Badge

You can travel on 2 days in Sweden but if you use both of them now, then you will have to pay for your trip in Sweden on your way home.

As you only have 5 travel days in total you need to get as far as possible today.

What is the route you have planned for your Interrail trip?

innitially we thougth we would take early morning train from stockholm directly to munich. after munich we thought we would take a train to the coast of italy somewhere. and then boat from bari in intaly to dubrovnik croatia. we have a plane ticket from dubrovnik so we won’t be travelling back with train. 

i have found seat reservations from copenhagen all the way to munich :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ok. Then you can use 2 travel days in Sweden now. Will you manage the whole trip using 5 travel days?

Badge

main priority is to get to dubrovnik, so if it takes 2 to get to munich, is it realistic to get somewhere on the coast with 3? either on italian side or croatatian

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

main priority is to get to dubrovnik, so if it takes 2 to get to munich, is it realistic to get somewhere on the coast with 3? either on italian side or croatatian

@Angelo what is a good way to get to Dubrovnik?

Fastest way is to get to Bari in Italy (can be done with  one travel day from München) and cross the sea by ferry (you'll have to pay for this).

Nearest station that is easily reachable is Split (München - Villach - Zagreb - Split). From there by bus or fast ferry (you'll have to pay for this).

Badge

@AnnaB i have found a seat reservation from copenhagen to hamburg on dsb udland site but I can’t find the same train on the rail planner app, is this a problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@firstinterrail22 Have you actually made the reservations at DSB udland, not only looked for trains? You don't see the availability until you proceed to make the purchase.

The direct trains between Denmark and Germany are sold out for weeks.

If you get a reservation and the train isn't in the app, you can add it manually. If you have an IPhone, there might be a bug that makes journeys dissappear. If you have an IPhone and need to add a manual journey, do that just before boarding the train and immediately add the journey to the pass and create the ticket.

Badge

@AnnaB no i didn’t acctiually book it just saw it on teh site, i will try to book it no but hesitated becaus i couldn’t find it on the app, but thanks now i know i can do it manually!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Här finns information hur du tar dig från Köpenhamn till Hamburg utan reservation.

Du måste troligen vara medlem i FB gruppen Tågsemester för att se sidan.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/tagsemester/permalink/3381468968739361/

Badge

you were right, they are booked. should have understod this...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

you were right, they are booked. should have understod this...

Check the link and document in Swedish above.  There are ways to get to Hamburg without reservation. 

Badge

Här finns information hur du tar dig från Köpenhamn till Hamburg utan reservation.

Du måste troligen vara medlem i FB gruppen Tågsemester för att se sidan.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/tagsemester/permalink/3381468968739361/

jag kollade! verkade som man får ta olika regionaltåg:) just nu verkar det lite hopplöst med tanke på de få resdagarna och hur långt vi ska

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

jag kollade! verkade som man får ta olika regionaltåg:) just nu verkar det lite hopplöst med tanke på de få resdagarna och hur långt vi ska

Var är ni nu? 

Badge

Var är ni nu? 

vi är kvar i stockholm eftersom vi inte hittade någon vidare resa från köpenhamn:(

Badge

det fanns regionaltåg till köpenhamn som vi tänkte ta men sen när det inte fanns resor från köpenhamn blev vi osäkra