Solved

Inbound journey can I change trains in my home country?

Hello, I have a global pass and I’m going home on Sunday from Bratislava to Torino (Italy). It is quite a long journey, so it obviously include changes. I am an Italian resident, and I would need to change trains twice in Italy (Verona and Milano), but in the app it still shows as one journey Bratislava-Torino. Can I do that or can I only travel to Verona and then have to pay for the tickets from there? I tried to contact Trenitalia (Italian railway company) but they say only ticket offices can give me that information, and I don’t have the chance to get to one until I’m actually back to Italy. I will do that when I need to change in Verona, but I was wondering if someone had a similar experience or can clarify this for me. Thank you very much in advance 💗

icon

Best answer by Camilo. 10 November 2022, 12:33

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @vitbat 

As @rvdborgt mentioned, you can take as many trains in your country on your inbound/outbound journey, as far it is made in one day of travel. Could you please contact customer service regarding the fine you got? 

I wish you a lovely day!

Badge +5

We’ve asked for exact details of the trains three times now. Please respond so we can help all travellers. Vague comments don’t help!!!

SO; if you again take this route via the Swiss (as such not needed, can also try if spare seats on the overnite Wien->MIlano) you again have to cough up for the extra supplmt+RES if you do not want to change in Lugano or Chiasso at the last to a TreNord regionale. But this NiteJet also needs to RES.

Was in B-lava on 1/11-a holiday and it was dreary and nearly all closed. 

No, it would be with no reservations needed Bratislava-Vienna Vienna-Innsbruck Innsbruck-Verona Verona-Milano Milano-Torino all by day. 

The thing is, on the way to Switzerland on my outbound journey I got a fine because the inspector said I was not allowed to board a national train. I had entered Torino-Milano and Milano-Basel as two separate journeys so I do hope that in this case it would be okay but yeah I have no desire to get two fines this time. 

What exact train was that? In case it was a Frecce: did you have a reservation?

If it was really fine (do you still have the paper you received?), you can claim it back from customer service. Include all details: date, route, train number, departure time etc.

No, regional train. I will when I go home because I did try and explain to the inspector, he agreed that what I was saying made sense (thank you!) but still gave me a fine hahahah. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The thing is, on the way to Switzerland on my outbound journey I got a fine because the inspector said I was not allowed to board a national train. I had entered Torino-Milano and Milano-Basel as two separate journeys so I do hope that in this case it would be okay but yeah I have no desire to get two fines this time. 

What exact train was that? In case it was a Frecce: did you have a reservation?

If it was really a fine (do you still have the paper you received?), you can claim it back from customer service. Include all details: date, route, train number, departure time etc.

You were unlikely to have been fined! You probably used a Eurocity train between Milan and the Swiss border. These trains have a supplement and you should have reserved in advance. Most likely the inspector charged you the supplement and gave you a telling off!

No, it was a regional train, without reservation. He said his interpretation of the terms and condition was I could take any train once I had crossed the border. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

SO; if you again take this route via the Swiss (as such not needed, can also try if spare seats on the overnite Wien->MIlano) you again have to cough up for the extra supplmt+RES if you do not want to change in Lugano or Chiasso at the last to a TreNord regionale. But this NiteJet also needs to RES.

Was in B-lava on 1/11-a holiday and it was dreary and nearly all closed. 

Badge +5

You were unlikely to have been fined! You probably used a Eurocity train between Milan and the Swiss border. These trains have a supplement and you should have reserved in advance. Most likely the inspector charged you the supplement and gave you a telling off!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello, I have a global pass and I’m going home on Sunday from Bratislava to Torino (Italy). It is quite a long journey, so it obviously include changes. I am an Italian resident, and I would need to change trains twice in Italy (Verona and Milano), but in the app it still shows as one journey Bratislava-Torino. Can I do that

Yes you can. You can use as many trans as you like. That includes trains in your country of residence on an inbound/outbound journey. Additionally, it doesn't matter how many journeys you enter in the app to cover the trains you want to use.