Solved

Interrail doesn't find connection (Madrid to Ourense)

• 20 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello, I have a question that I wasn't able to find an answer to. What should I do, if Interrail planner can't find a connection I know exists?

For example: I'd like to visit Spain and travel by high-speed train from Madrid to Ourense, Galicia. I looked for a journey in 3 weeks from now. On Renfe (Spanish railways) website I can see numerous high-speed trains. However, if I search for high-speed connection on Interrail on the same date, there aren't any (it just shows a couple of long, 12 hour trips, rather than a 3 hour one). Now, I want to get the 7 day travel pass by DiscoverEU but I'm worried I won't be able to use it where I need to because of this problem.

icon

Best answer by Angelo 20 January 2022, 15:53

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The spanish carrier RENFE doesn’t send all timetable data to the European Timetable Centre, where the Railplanner App gets the timetables. 

When a train is not in the app, doesn’t mean that you can’t use it. 

You can add manually trains to the app. 

Please note that you are not allowed to use Renfe Avlo and Eva and SNCF Ouigo. Reservations for trains in Spain are only possible to buy via Renfe or DB (ticket-office or call). Via Interrail.eu you can get only the reservation for RENFE-SNCF TGV/AVE France-Spain (you get a paper ticket via mail) or you book directly via Renfe, SNCF or DB.

The spanish carrier RENFE doesn’t send all timetable data to the European Timetable Centre, where the Railplanner App gets the timetables. 

When a train is not in the app, doesn’t mean that you can’t use it. 

Thank you for answering. So I can always do it manually, great. And I thought I’d still be able to add these Madrid-Barcelona high-speed trains, but I only wouldn't be able to make a reservation. So is it correct that I can buy the ticket but just need to make a reservation separately? Or I just can’t use them at all? Thanks a lot

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Also to add that on the Madrid to Barcelona route whilst you cannot use your Interrail pass, the cost of Avlo Ouigo etc MIGHT not be much more than the RENFE RESERVATION fees and you could then save a day on your pass potentially. 

Also to add that on the Madrid to Barcelona route whilst you cannot use your Interrail pass, the cost of Avlo Ouigo etc MIGHT not be much more than the RENFE RESERVATION fees and you could then save a day on your pass potentially. 

LMAO, totally true. If you book in advance, the prices are REALLY low.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

AVLO is in fact low-budget trains run also by RENFE! UNtill now limited to Mad-Barca, but I´ve just read they now also start Mad-Valencia.

QuiGO is a competitor owned by SNCF=French railways. In fact IN FRance they also run ditto trains that do not accept any pass.

The ITalian Railways TrenIT will also start competing hi-speed low-budget trains in Espana soon. I think they call it IriYo.

However, the route to Galicia (OUrense) has very recently be much extended in the hi-speed network and is still only by RENFE but much faster as before.