Solved

Italy reservations - how to make?

• 28 June 2022
  • 7 replies

Despite many posts on this forum saying not to worry about train reservations booking out (and Seat61 saying the same thing) it looks like trains are booking out this summer and I can’t get the specific train I want. 

I was hoping to catch the 7AM FR from Roma Termini to Naples Centrale on 28 July 2022. OBB says tickets not available and the next high speed train is at 8AM which does have tickets available. However, when I look at Trenitalia or ItaliaRail there is an FR at 6:50AM. This train does not show on OBB nor on Eurail. I cannot see a way to use my Eurail pass to book this 6:50AM train on Trenitalia or ItaliaRail. 

Is there any way I can book this 6:50AM FR using my Eurail pass and paying only the 10EUR reservation fee rather than having to buy a regular ticket via Trenitalia or ItaliaRail?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Angelo 28 June 2022, 14:19

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Angelo 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Maybe ÖBB doesn’t have the right timetable in that case…

Last year I had also a problem that trains shown on Railplanner App (and also ÖBB app if I remember right) didn’t really exist and I had to take another train from Florence to Salerno.
You can try to book it at the station, but it might be sold out until then...

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi this train is currently missing in the timetable, because it was in the planner running at 7:00am, but maybe due to works it runs 10 minutes before. Choose another train or wait till the timetable of ÖBB is up-to-date. You can also buy the reservation at ticket offices of Trenitalia in Italy. 

I’m still in Australia so I have to make reservations online. I guess I will keep checking OBB to see if the timetable updates or just cut my losses and book the 8AM train. Thanks for the tips!

Side question for those currently in/travelling Europe: what is the actual situation with reservations booking out? Are trains actually being sold out weeks in advance? I have always preferred to travel flexibly and don’t like booking things in advance but I’m starting to get concerned that I will not be able to get anywhere if I try to make train reservations the day before I need them. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’m still in Australia so I have to make reservations online. I guess I will keep checking OBB to see if the timetable updates or just cut my losses and book the 8AM train. Thanks for the tips!

Side question for those currently in/travelling Europe: what is the actual situation with reservations booking out? Are trains actually being sold out weeks in advance? I have always preferred to travel flexibly and don’t like booking things in advance but I’m starting to get concerned that I will not be able to get anywhere if I try to make train reservations the day before I need them. 

It depends on the routes. Tourism this year increased a lot compared to 2020 and 2021. Trains are much more crowded. So the most popular routes can definitely be booked out days or even weeks in advance (e.g. some routes in France). But it depends a lot on route and day of traveling (e.g. if you travel on a Tuesday or on a Friday/Sunday).

On most of the routes (not all, e.g. Spain not) you still have reservation-free alternatives, although they take longer and might be less convenient and also crowded.

So the most popular routes can definitely be booked out days or even weeks in advance (e.g. some routes in France). But it depends a lot on route and day of traveling (e.g. if you travel on a Tuesday or on a Friday/Sunday).

On most of the routes (not all, e.g. Spain not) you still have reservation-free alternatives, although they take longer and might be less convenient and also crowded.

Why are Tuesday’s busier?

I’m looking at going from Italy up to Switzerland, Austria, and finishing up in Budapest. Travelling from mid July to mid August. Would these routes be crowded in your opinion?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

from Italy to Switzerland via Austria to Budapest is a good route, because except Italy, almost all trains have only optional reservations. In switzerland you don't need redervations (nobody does it) and to Austria I reccomend it, on longer routes.