Solved

Making a reservation for the Riviera Sleeper (summer 2023)

• 7 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi everybody! I’m new to the community and planning my first solo Interrail to the UK this summer. I would like to include a trip with the Riviera Sleeper from London to Penzance in my trip. So far I’m finding it hard to find concrete information about making reservations on this train.

My research shows that you can only book from 12 weeks in advance. Does anyone know if this is true? I would hate to miss a reservation by being ‘too late’. Also, it is not clear to me whether you can make that reservation from abroad (I live in Belgium). Has anyone tried this recently? What is the best way? As a millennial with severe phone anxiety, I would prefer to settle this online if possible…

And last but not least: can anybody tell me the costs of this reservation? I know a seat is 6 euro, but I would like to know the prices of the cabins to decide whether it’s worth the price. I can’t seem to find a conclusive answer anywhere.

So, to summarise: all Riviera Sleeper tips & tricks are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by ralderton 7 March 2023, 01:03

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Seat 61, who usually knows how to book things, suggests you can't do this online. You have to call the company that runs the sleeper, GWR.

https://www.seat61.com/sleeper-to-cornwall.htm#how-to-buy-tickets

12 weeks is usually when reservations open, but it won't be exact, and could be less. Especially at weekends. 

You can check on the GWR website for regular tickets, and when you see them on sale for your date, call up to book your reservation. 

Prices: if you scroll up a little from the link, they seem to be in the £40-60 range for a cabin. Which is pretty good value I think.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I tried this a couple of months ago and failed:

It seems impossible to book this both online and on the phone (if you don't have a UK address and/or credit card). Best would probably be to ask a friend anywhere in the UK to book it for you (at a train station or possibly on the phone).

The cabins, if bookable, are indeed fairly reasonably priced: the prices are dynamic though, but the cabin supplement price can be seen when simulating a booking including a ticket.

For example, on a random date: single cabin for £69, double for £103. I've seen them for less too.

Be aware that the Night Riviera leaves after midnight CET from London, meaning when using a mobile pass you theorically need to use the next day as a travel day. The app - when I wanted to do this - does not follow this definition though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It seems impossible to book this both online and on the phone (if you don't have a UK address and/or credit card). Best would probably be to ask a friend anywhere in the UK to book it for you (at a train station or possibly on the phone).

I'd say call them first and see what they say. File a formal complaint if they still won't sell a reservation because they still want a UK address. Only with enough complaints there's a chance they will see there's a problem.

Regarding your old posting:

It would indeed have just been possible to book at a counter until 23:59 the day before departure. Remaining cabins are sold on the train.

The price range is very wide since it's yield management. Theoretically they may start at about 40 £ as mentioned before but can go up to 100,50 £ (both for solo). And a given date doesn't start with the lowest possible price.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I'd say call them first and see what they say. File a formal complaint if they still won't sell a reservation because they still want a UK address. Only with enough complaints there's a chance they will see there's a problem.

Which reminds me I haven't received any reply to my complaint. I'll e-mail them whenever I have time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Which reminds me I haven't received any reply to my complaint. I'll e-mail them whenever I have time.

@Schelte did you get any reply from them?