Solved

Night train from Munich to Rome

• 12 March 2023
  • 9 replies

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for information about a night train option for a trip from Munich to Rome early August (4) this summer.  I see two trains on the schedule but can not reserve seats.  Will these trains run?  Do I just have to wait 90 days prior to then reserve berths?  There are 4 of us, what options for berths exist on these trains?

Thanks Community!

sean

icon

Best answer by Angelo 12 March 2023, 13:03

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi due to works on tracks in Italy from 10 June to 9 September the Nightjet Munich/Vienna - Rome will run from Bologna to Ancona at the adriatic coast. 

You can use the Nightjet to Bologna and chance there into the first Frecciarossa to Rome ( 10€ reservation + you need a additional travel day), also possible is to take the Nightjet Munich/Vienna-LaSpezia (near Cinque Terre, Pisa and Firenze) and from there to Rome.

Hello Angelo,

Thank you very much for the reply.  This sounds quite challenging.  Which route would be the most manageable for a family of 4?  

Your advice and the information you provided are appreciated.

Sean

Angelo, a follow up question.

Are there day time trains available from Munich to Rome or will there be work on the same lines during the day?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The night train is a relaxed experience and not very challenging I’d say ! But it uses 2 travel days (unless you buy a regular ticket La Spezia - Rome or Bologna - Rome). Btw the summer schedule for Italian trains is not yet finalised but you shouldn’t expect many changes.

A 4-people couchette carriage would cost 172€ on 2nd August between Munich and Bologna (as an example)

Munich - Rome by day would be :

• EC München Hbf 07:34 - Bologna Centrale 14:10 10€ supplement for using Brenner Pass + seat reservation
  • Frecciarossa Bologna Centrale 14:27 - 16:49 10€ seat reservation

There’s the same route 2 hours later and you could spend some time in Bologna too if you want.

More info about the Brenner Pass supplement here :

If you want a free seat reservation too (recommended in summer), it is better to book at cd.cz.

But I believe you’re too early anyway.

@rvdborgt I thought that it was better to book this supplement at cd.cz to get the free seat but the website is giving me a weird price : 3160 CZK (133€) for 4 people with Interrail/Eurail (no difference between the two). Did something change ? It’s still 4 x 10€ + 4 x 3€ on tickets.oebb.at...

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Angelo, a follow up question.

Are there day time trains available from Munich to Rome or will there be work on the same lines during the day?

The high speed line is open, but the nighttrains do not use this line.

Munich-Rome at day you need to change at least one time, in Bologna, Verona or Bolzano. Depends from the connection. Keep in mind that in Bologna the high speed trains start underground station that needs some time from the "normal" Bologna Centrale to the highspeed Bologna Centrale AV.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I thought that it was better to book this supplement at cd.cz to get the free seat but the website is giving me a weird price : 3160 CZK (133€) for 4 people with Interrail/Eurail (no difference between the two). Did something change ? It’s still 4 x 10€ + 4 x 3€ on tickets.oebb.at...

I did a test booking but got a price of CZK 968 (~€41) for 4 persons including reservations:

You need to add passengers with Interrail discount and also remove the default passenger without discount.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’ve found the problem !

4 adults with Interrail discount is 968 CZK but 2 adults and 2 children (all with Interrail) is 3160 CZK…

I guess you’d need to buy 4 adult tickets even for children...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’ve found the problem !

4 adults with Interrail discount is 968 CZK but 2 adults and 2 children (all with Interrail) is 3160 CZK…

I guess you’d need to buy 4 adult tickets even for children...

It is normal when making reservations with Interrail that children have to be entered as adults.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Maybe it is normal but completely counter-intuitive for travellers…

Hopefully it will be changed one day.