Solved

Rail planner app - Dublin is missing

• 25 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi, 

I am planning to go from Cambridge, England til Dublin, Ireland - but Dublin is missing from the Rail Planner App. The problem is not just that there are no routes going between these two cities, but that I cannot even choose Dublin as a destination. What does this mean?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 25 January 2022, 12:03

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That means that Irish Rail did not send their timetable data to the European Timetable Centre.

For planning, it's best to use the railway companies’ own timetables anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As most likely you may know, there is also a SEA in between the islands of GB and IE. Whereas you can get a discount for some of the ferries that cross to/fro between some ports, with just the pass this will not work. Hence NO route possible at all for just trains. PLUS that I recently read that several of these ferries now only take pax with cars or have switched to ports well out of town with no ready access. But as rian already explains: do not rely on this app-use a normal general travel planner. Check if f.e. trains Dublin Ballina/Westport/Tralee are to be found to see if IR (in this case Irish Railroads) has sent in their data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

As most likely you may know, there is also a SEA in between the islands of GB and IE. Whereas you can get a discount for some of the ferries that cross to/fro between some ports, with just the pass this will not work. Hence NO route possible at all for just trains. PLUS that I recently read that several of these ferries now only take pax with cars

I'm not aware of any ferries between GB and (Northern) Ireland for which this is true. Do you have more information about that?