Solved

Reservation compartment on night train Helsinki- Rovaniemi

• 11 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi, we want to take the night train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi for which a reservation is required. When I choose the connection on interrail.eu there’s only one possibility (“IRT 2 class” for 24€). I suppose that this is the price for a normal seat. However we prefer to have our own compartment. I had a look at the VR website. There you can choose such a cabin for 179€. Unfortunately we haven’t found a way that  “interrail” is taken into account. That’s why I have these questions:

1. Is there a way to book a reservation for a cabin on interrail.eu?
  2. Is there a way to get the cabin cheaper with the “interrail-code” on the VR website? Or do we have to pay the full price without using our Interrail Pass?

Greetings from Germany

Hagen & Nadine 

icon

Best answer by Nadine 12 July 2021, 14:45

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi

you can reserve at a International Ticketdesk or a well experienced travelagency :)

As you are from Germany i recommend “DB Reisezentrum” they can but often have problems to find the option so it depends from person to person if they manage it or not.

I used back in 2019 one of the experienced Travelagencies :) https://www.die-bahnprofis.de/ i have good experience with Kopfbahnhof & Bahnagentur Schöneberg from Berlin and with Gleisnost from Freiburg (several railtrips across Europe)  :) they may charge a service fee.

Another option is to call VR (Railcompany of Finland) and collect your reservations at a local ticket office :)

Here a page with the reservation fares you can expect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you so much for your quick answer. I contacted VR on Facebook. They said that you can’t get a discount on sleeping cabins - different than in Sweden where we’ve already been to - and that you have to call VR if you want to book a ticket with interrail or a sleeping cabin. 

We used a VR sleeper 2 years ago and used Interrail for that. I booked the reservation via a Deutsche Bahn travel agent. It was a sleeper compartment for 3 people (with 2 friends 🙂. Maybe you can't book a sleeper compartment for single use with an Interrail pass but in any case the reply from VR sounds incomplete to say the least.

Thank you so much for your quick answer. I contacted VR on Facebook. They said that you can’t get a discount on sleeping cabins - different than in Sweden where we’ve already been to - and that you have to call VR if you want to book a ticket with interrail or a sleeping cabin. Well that’s not true at all - I have just booked the cabin on their website. But it’s okay. Seems like we have to stay longer in Norway in order to use the time gained :-)

Greetings

Nadine