Solved

Reservation from France to Spain and vice versa not possible - prices unavailable

• 27 June 2022
  • 2 replies

Hey,

me and a friend of mine are going on an Interrail trip in a few days/weeks, and are now booking seat reservations for all the trains where this is required. We are planning on travelling from Montpellier in France to Barcelona in Spain, and then from Barcelona to Narbonne in France.

For every other train, it was possible to book reservations beforehand either on the Interrail website itself or on the website of the local train station. However, even after trying repeatedly, that does not work. It only shows the following message:

“Prices unavailable. No price results were found for this connection. It is possible thta all pass holder seats are sold out. Please try searching for another connection or check ‘More information’ and try other ways to book this seat reservation. If no pass holder seats are available anymore you need to buy a separate full fare ticket to board.”

Now here is my question: How do I book these two reservations? Do I need to call the train company over the phone or buy a reservation at the train station when we get there?

Thank you in advance for your help.

icon

Best answer by Jelmergraaff 27 June 2022, 20:19

View original

2 replies

I am travelling from Marseille to Barcelona in about two weeks, so I may be able to give some advice. I have considered booking the high-speed train connection between France and Spain, but this reservation was quite expensive, and apperantly it sells out rather fast. 

Therefore, I am using only regional trains. From Marseille, I am taking the train to Montpellier Saint Roche. From there, you can take regional trains to Perpignan and even further to Cèbere (French side of the border) or Portbou (Spanish side). From there, you can take a connecting regional train to Barcelona, which takes about 2,5 hours. For me this resulted in the following schedule (for Friday, July 8th).

• 10.50 - Montpellier Saint Roche - TER 86983 to Portbou
  • 13.45 - Portbou

---

• 14.35 - Portbou - Regional to Barcelona Sants
  • 17.10 - Barcelona Sants

For train times for the French part of the journey, you can check the SNCF-website. For regional trains (TER), you don't need a reservation. For the Spanish part you also don't need a reservation. I believe you do need to add the trip manually, as it is not visible in the Interrail-app or anywhere else. Here is the schedule: https://rodalies.gencat.cat/web/.content/02_Horaris/horaris/R11.pdf

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Perfectly possible to do withOUT any RES on local trains-set app to ´trains without reserv´.

In FRance these are named TER, in ESpana Rodalies, change at first stop just after border (in 2 ways)-as the gauges differ.

IF you want to spend that 25€ extra and save maybe 1 hr: call SNCF. but even then expect negative-these trains have only small quota for passes-often taken long before, certainly in hi-summer