Skip to main content

I am looking to book a journey from Prague to Hallstatt on Jan 5 and while the Eurail site shows that reservations are not required, for my anxious wife’s peace of mind I would like to try to reserve a seat wherever possible for our holiday.

I have tried booking via eurail.com, oebb.at and cd.cz and selected various settings with either the Eurail pass discount or seat-only options and I have attempted to change the journey simply from Prague to Linz to try to reserve that seat. On all of the sites I haven’t been able to reserve seats so I was wondering whether the allocation for pass holders has been exhausted or if I am doing something wrong.

I can see via the cd.cz site that there are still seats available to reserve, but when doing so I get the message “The booking period for this reservation has not yet begun or has already expired.”.

The oebb.at site just says “No ticket required” and I don’t get the option to add on the Seat Reservation and eurail.com gives the generic “unavailable” message.

Hopefully I am just misunderstanding the system, I would rather not show up in hopes that we can find a seat, especially if the seat map that I saw shows only a couple of 1st class compartments remaining.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

On tickets.oebb.at, use the "Seat reservation only” in this case.

If that doesn't work, then please specify the exact trains you'd like to book, including their departure times.

When booking via Seat-Only it says that no tickets are available. 

And when I do it via a One-way ticket with the Eurail pass discount I can proceed past this screen but them don't get the option to reserve a seat. 

As you can see this is for the 10:21 train from Prague to Linz. From what I can gather, there are no reservations from Linz to Hallstat. 

I'm not sure what the problem is on 5 January. On the 2nd and the 6th, seats are available but not on the 3rd, 4th and 5th.

On the other hand, Prague - Linz is not a busy route so you shouldn't worry. Maybe try again next month.

Linz - Hallstatt is a regional train for which reservations are not available.

There MAY simply be-this is very often in CZ, and the line is single track, so no ALT, works on those days.

The best site-no need to even think about, is always that of railway concerned-in this case CD.cz, the blue+white trains. IF that also denies RES, i will show if there is perhaps some short BUS in between, which explains it all. Worrying about RS here is IMHO simply a waste of time.

The best site-no need to even think about, is always that of railway concerned-in this case CD.cz, the blue+white trains. IF that also denies RES, i will show if there is perhaps some short BUS in between, which explains it all. Worrying about RS here is IMHO simply a waste of time.

@mcadv please check websites yourself before speculating or making any claims. None of the websites mention any engineering works or rail replacement bus.