Reservations for night trains?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Alright seasoned travellers! This year I plan on taking quite some night trains, but I don't have a set plan. I have used night trains before and usually booked them before my trip. These are a few of the trains I might take this summer:

• ÖBB NightJet Amsterdam - Vienna
  • ÖBB NightJet Vienna - Berlin
  • EuroNight 347 Dacia Vienna - Bucharest
  • Intercity 407 Corona Budapest - Brasov
  • EuroNight 462 Kalman Imre Budapest - München
  • EuroNight 476 Budapest - Warsaw
  • TLK Domestic night train Poland

I was wondering how easy it is to book night trains on the go. I can imagine in high season couchettes can get sold out, or sometimes it's not possible to book all types of accomodation on certain routes, when booking at the train station. What are your experiences? Or do you prefer to book night trains in advance?

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

44€ is the standard reservation fee for Couchette on Nightjets :/
@BrianL  save journey and with luck iam maybe your traindriver :D In Germany,Austria or Switzerland :)

Wow seewulf!  I’ll be arriving in Ffm from Paris at 11pm. Is there any way we can meet at the station?

Depends on my shift shedule :) As iam working flexible (doesn´t know when i have to work next week it would be difficult :) ) Hometwon Berlin and mosttime iam in Austria/Switzerland and South Germany :)

Userlevel 1
Badge

@BrianL  save journey and with luck iam maybe your traindriver :D In Germany,Austria or Switzerland :)

Wow seewulf!  I’ll be arriving in Ffm from Paris at 11pm. Is there any way we can meet at the station?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hm… The below link should at least get you to a topic in which Seewulf posted ways to get diffeernt types reservations:

One of them is for night trains that ÖBB run or are a partner for. This link should get you to the correct post directly but if your browser stays at the top of the page, look for "Nighttrain Reservations” or page down to about halfway.

Basically, you need to go to www.oebb.at and start the booking process for a normal ticket and then add the “Interrail/Eurail” reduction.

Thank you so much rvdborgt and seewulf: I made it!  For info, the couchette ticket costs 44€ for me as a senior. I’m off on my third Interrail adventure in 11 days!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hm… The below link should at least get you to a topic in which Seewulf posted ways to get diffeernt types reservations:

One of them is for night trains that ÖBB run or are a partner for. This link should get you to the correct post directly but if your browser stays at the top of the page, look for "Nighttrain Reservations” or page down to about halfway.

Basically, you need to go to www.oebb.at and start the booking process for a normal ticket and then add the “Interrail/Eurail” reduction.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The only link I have found above is “How to get reservations.” This does not seem to be what you are referring to here.

My booking will be for September 1st. Are couchettes likely to be sold out then?

Do you have any idea whether the booking office at major stations such as Frankfurt is open at 11pm?

That link is correct. The text starts with "Nighttrain Reservations on oebb.at :) Here a short manual how to reserve Nightjet and Nightjetpartner Services online. https://www.oebb.at/en

Couchettes are still available for 1 Sept. 0:52. But do nook now and don't wait until then. The ticket window at Frankfurt (Main) Hbf closes at 21:00.

You could also book via DB by phone (+49 30 2970) and collect your reservation from a DB ticket machine.

I am really sorry to be a bore, but trying to follow “Click at the link to get a reservation for night trains” on oebb.at/en did not give me such a link, nor did I see one on your reproduction of it.

I’m 84 years old, but still computer savvy after 35 years’ experience. Is it my mistake, or is something missing in your guide?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@BrianL 

The link provided was the correct one just scroll far down :) as @rvdborgt  said :)
There are other options like call DB and collect :)
and yeah said above the Nighttrain Zürich - Hamburg is very popular and is often sold out :) even if Nightjet serve the Route with two Couchette and two double deck Sleeper carriages

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The only link I have found above is “How to get reservations.” This does not seem to be what you are referring to here.

My booking will be for September 1st. Are couchettes likely to be sold out then?

Do you have any idea whether the booking office at major stations such as Frankfurt is open at 11pm?

That link is correct. The text starts with "Nighttrain Reservations on oebb.at :) Here a short manual how to reserve Nightjet and Nightjetpartner Services online. https://www.oebb.at/en

Couchettes are still available for 1 Sept. 0:52. But do nook now and don't wait until then. The ticket window at Frankfurt (Main) Hbf closes at 21:00.

You could also book via DB by phone (+49 30 2970) and collect your reservation from a DB ticket machine.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@BrianL  on my post provided from @rvdborgt  is a special manual how to reserve Nighttrains with oebb.at as DB itself doesn´t operate them anymore :/ Note that this Train have a Night IC on it means that seats on this Nighttrain can be used without a reservation :) For Couchette and Sleeper you have to reserve and i recommend well in advance as the route Zürich - Basel - Frankfurt - Hamburg/Berlin is very popular and often sold out :/

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@BrianL  on my post provided from @rvdborgt  is a special manual how to reserve Nighttrains with oebb.at as DB itself doesn´t operate them anymore :/ Note that this Train have a Night IC on it means that seats on this Nighttrain can be used without a reservation :) For Couchette and Sleeper you have to reserve and i recommend well in advance as the route Zürich - Basel - Frankfurt - Hamburg/Berlin is very popular and often sold out :/

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I want to take the train from Frankfurt/M. to Hamburg, departing 00:52.

I see mention above of buying a reservation on the go, but I wonder whether the ticket office in Frankfurt will be open at 11pm when I arrive. I would certainly have time to get the ticket if so.

That's a night train operated by ÖBB. The DB ticket office can sell reservations for it but these trains are quite popular and it's wise to book them via ÖBB at least a few weeks in advance:

I followed your instructions on DB.

There doesn’t seem to be an option to buy a couchette, only a seat, but I didn’t get that far, because this came up on screen (Reservation not possible):​​​​​​

That's why I suggested to book via ÖBB. Please see the link above for instructions.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I see mention above of buying a reservation on the go, but I wonder whether the ticket office in Frankfurt will be open at 11pm when I arrive. I would certainly have time to get the ticket if so.

That's a night train operated by ÖBB. The DB ticket office can sell reservations for it but these trains are quite popular and it's wise to book them via ÖBB at least a few weeks in advance:

I followed your instructions on DB.

There doesn’t seem to be an option to buy a couchette, only a seat, but I didn’t get that far, because this came up on screen (Reservation not possible):

Frankfurt(Main)Hbf 00:52  7:01 0
NJ
Reservierung nicht möglich
Reservierung nicht möglich
Hamburg Hbf 07:53
Details einblenden      
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you rvdborgt.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please, can I book a couchette online for a night train with Deutsche Bahn?

Online probably not, at the ticket office or via phone often yes. if you let us know which night train, then people can advise where to book.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Please, can I book a couchette online for a night train with Deutsche Bahn?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thank you for your suggestions! I have used online booking systems while travelling before and it was actually pretty convenient, becuase you don't have to queue for the ticket offices.

My question was actually whether it's a good idea to reserve night trains last-minute or a few days before. I will make the reservation for the Amsterdam - Vienna night train beforehand, but I want to leave the rest open.

Especially the Nighttrain Amsterdam/Brussels - Vienna , Berlin - Vienna and Vienna - Bucharest are very popular and can be sold out but usually there are still atleast a seat left :) (Not all passengers that have a reservation show up on time and then you can buy the Upgrade from the Steward)

That's actually a great idea, I didn't know that was possible. I'll keep it in mind when travelling!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For the domestic TLK train, I tested the PKP IC website on Szczecin - Kraków but it only allows you to book a seat (very cheap at PLN 1), no couchette or sleeper. It could very well be that this must still be done at the station or a ticket agency. In such a case, I usually try to do it via DB, often via https://www.lennestadt.de/lebenswert/DB-Agentur

You can ask for a ticket/reservation to be collected at a DB ticket machine ("Bahn-Tix”).

If you use NS, book all your reservations in one go because you'll pay extra each time (7.50 booking fee, up to 22.50 if you're traveling with others):

https://www.nsinternational.com/nl/waar-treintickets-kopen/verkooppunten-op-ns-stations

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

ÖBB Nightjets aswell as Nightjet Partners like Euronight Budapest - Munich can be done easy via oebb.at check the nighttrain reservations in my manual post

Vienna - Bucharest can be reserved here aswell but you have to pick them up at a Austrian Ticket office or Ticket machine. 

Budapest - Warsaw/Berlin/Prague was possible via oebb.at too but actual due some changes i can´t find a way best options is then NS or SNCB International ticketdesks or German Rail (DB Reisezentrum)

I plan for this summer Palermo - Milan (already booked), Bratislava - Vienna - Split and then iam struggeling between Split - Praha with Regiojet or Split - Budapest with MAV :)

Especially the Nighttrain Amsterdam/Brussels - Vienna , Berlin - Vienna and Vienna - Bucharest are very popular and can be sold out but usually there are still atleast a seat left :) (Not all passengers that have a reservation show up on time and then you can buy the Upgrade from the Steward)