Solved

seat reservation Avignon-Madrid

• 6 October 2022
  • 4 replies

hi everyone,

I desperately need to reserve a seat on this connection between Avignon and Madrid on the 23rd of October. The checkout function does not allow me to purchase a ticket and calling the French and Spanish railway was no help either. They all advise me to just see if I can get a ticket at the station. Is there no way to make a seat reservation when you don't live in either France or Spain? Does anyone have tips or suggestions? It would be much appreciated!

Best,

Jesper.

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 9 October 2022, 13:32

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What do you mean by:

• "The checkout function does not allow me to purchase a ticket”? Was there an error message? If so, please post it.
  • "calling the French and Spanish railway was no help either”? What did French railways say? If there's availability, they can book it and send it by email. Spanish railways are useless in this case because you'd need to pick up the reservation in Spain.

Other known ways of booking are listed here:

Thanks for your reply! The message i get reads as follows: "Please try to find an alternative connection. The unavailable leg will be removed from your cart."

French railways said the journey was sold out for passholders, whereas the Spanish railway indicated there were still several seats but they couldn't make reservations. 

Maybe I'll try giving SNCF another call tomorrow and see if there's availability on their end again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The message i get reads as follows: "Please try to find an alternative connection. The unavailable leg will be removed from your cart."

That sometimes happens when there's no availability anymore.

French railways said the journey was sold out for passholders, whereas the Spanish railway indicated there were still several seats but they couldn't make reservations. 

Maybe I'll try giving SNCF another call tomorrow and see if there's availability on their end again.

You can try but there's no guarantee there will be. You'd better start thinking about a plan B, e.g. travel via Portbou.

@Jesperov  Hello! I’m afraid this is because there won’t be enough time to ship the paper ticket before your trip. Therefore, please try a different method to make this reservation:

The TGVs and AVEs between France and Spain can be booked:

• Via Interrail.eu (2€ booking fee per person and train + 9€ postage fee per order).
  • Via French railways ticket office or by phone (press #85 for English, no booking fee, delivery via e-mail).
  • Via Deutsche Bahn ticket office or by phone (+49 30 2970 or directly to the English line +49 30 311682904; no booking fee, delivery via DB ticket machine or by post for €5.90).
  • Via a CFL international ticket office or by phone. Booking fee €5, reservation can be sent via email.
  • Via a Swiss ticket office or by phone (scroll down to Switzerland). Unknown if reservations can be sent via e-mail. Send me a message if you find out.
  • Via a RENFE ticket office or by phone, with limitations (scroll down to Spain; when calling, press 1 for English). Reservation must be collected in Spain.